• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just took a challah out of the oven, the first I've ever made using bread flour. All these years, I've had the notion that bread flour would produce a heartier, heavier bread than I like, and I've

Best loaf yet!

The big advantage of baking your own bagels is that you can make them the right size.  There are about 2 oz. each, as they were in my youth.  The disadvantage is aesthetic, but maybe they will be neat

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

You’re not a cook if you don’t have scars.

You're not much of anything if you don't have scars. Has anyone made it to age three without acquiring at least one or two?

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of wildly inconsistent..

A few nights ago I started the Modernist Pizza recipe for Artisan Pizza Dough (K.M. p 54). Never content with following a recipe exactly, when I divided the dough I wanted enough for a pizza bianca/focaccia and 2 pies. So instead of their recommended 360g dough balls, one was 540 grams, and two were approximately half of that. Two nights later, I used the doughs.

IMG_6329.thumb.jpeg.e3e6a0d3a823a4fbca4b556211fc119b.jpeg

IMG_6330.thumb.jpeg.da377b632404937e2dc4a6de68c72d4e.jpeg

The pizza bianca was really good - I'd spread a little sauce on half of it, to make pizza rosa ; as can be seen, it practically disappears into the dough.

After the focaccia had baked, it was time for pizza. Oy.  I have never seen my dough stretch to such thinness (like immediately), basically because I kind of have no idea what I'm doing...

IMG_6332.thumb.jpeg.20c7215c071cd42c3b0a9969e3a189ae.jpeg

IMG_6334.thumb.jpeg.23fc2c996b3f716f8a0a60f5e7162251.jpeg

Oh, it was tasty...I just wish I knew what had happened to the cornicione! This pizza was practically Roman in its thinness (but not at all crispy).   And it has all of a sudden gotten too warm to continue my experiments (shit, last night I baked potatoes in the Cuisinart oven, rather than turning on the big oven).

• 4 weeks later...

A few weeks ago, I got a cast-iron Dutch oven, perfect for bread baking, at a yard sale for $7.  N had to do quite a bit of scouring and cleaning, and it made its debut on Saturday at the local South African group's braai.  The campfire bread was a disaster.  The cast iron was thinner than N had thought, and that coupled with the vagaries of the fire led to a charred exterior and a gummy interior.  OTOH, the oven is even better seasoned than before, and now N knows its hot spots.  She may have better luck using it in the range.

• 1 month later...