Top Chef and Top Chef masters

I think this food competition show is head and shoulders above the others.

I'm late to the game but I've loved the masters show these last weeks.

Marcus Samuelsson came off as arrogant and over confident. It's very unappealing.

I loved Susan Feniger seemed lilke a lot of fun and in the end I'd rather be eating her food.

Susur seemed arrogant and tedious but his food looked great.

On the finale, Rick Moonen, who has based his career as someone who is concerned about sustainable fish, was asked about the sustainability of using New Zealand venison on a challenge that involved chefs telling their stories. I thought it was perfectly valid question. Here's a guy who is supposedly about sustainability and he made a key decision. His answer wasn't to argue about food miles or carbon footprints but to say, "I'm not a tree hugger." He was docked at least half a star and it turned out it was the half star that gave the win to Samuelsson. Now Moonen is arguing that food miles and carbon footprints are better with the NZ product and whining about his loss. I find it really unbecoming.

Was it a fair question?

Marcus Samuelsson came off as arrogant and over confident. It's very unappealing.

I loved Susan Feniger seemed lilke a lot of fun and in the end I'd rather be eating her food.

On the finale, Rick Moonen, who has based his career as someone who is concerned about sustainable fish, was asked about the sustainability of using New Zealand venison on a challenge that involved chefs telling their stories. I thought it was perfectly valid question. Here's a guy who is supposedly about sustainability and he made a key decision. His answer wasn't to argue about food miles or carbon footprints but to say, "I'm not a tree hugger." He was docked at least half a star and it turned out it was the half star that gave the win to Samuelsson. Now Moonen is arguing that food miles and carbon footprints are better with the NZ product and whining about his loss. I find it really unbecoming.

Was it a fair question?

So, you're providing commentary on a show

that's OVER?

Was it a fair question?

So, you're providing commentary on a show

that's OVER?

The finale just happened. Is that weird of me?

I enjoy that show, too. Jonathan Waxman cracks me up. I thought Marcus was cool, actually, and it took a lot of nerve cooking African food. I enjoyed last season as well. My only complaint is that they edit it down so much that there's not much food prep to watch.

It happened at least 24 hrs ago & S won.

Right. Do you mean I should have written about it before it ended?

Anyway, I was ok with his win.

I think all three seemed kind of like jerks. And hams.

Sorry.

I went after you for no other reason than the US-England match ended 1-1 (before or after I posted).

It happened at least 24 hrs ago & S won.

Right. Do you mean I should have written about it before it ended?

Anyway, I was ok with his win.

I think all three seemed kind of like jerks. And hams.

I appreciated Susur Lee more than most. I did not appreciate Marcus or Moonen much until the end. I love watching Waxman and Susan Feniger, and also the Tony guy that Feniger loved.

Tragic last episode when Susur revealed that his lovely first wife perished in the jet in the airspace above Russia.

I thought Marcus was pretty much a jerk in the first episodes, but that last one: his story held together.

Wondered where G. Greene went in the last episodes. I can only guess. I did like that last episode, with the prior chefs, but I seriously have to wonder how those ratings from three chefs translate into perfect points or half-points. I think that is wrong, and would be someone to prove me wrong.

Mr. Sando, if you think that Moonen was docked a point, did they say so? I am not disputing, but is that your assumption?

I thought Rick Moonen did quite well with that dish. And yes, maybe they docked points for New Zealand.

Thanks in advance for your answer

Was it a fair question?

Stupid question. He didn't ask about the Whole Foods Italian olive oil, the thai coconut milk, etc. There's a difference between not overfishing stocks to extinction and flying in lamb from New Zealand.

Stupid question. He didn't ask about the Whole Foods Italian olive oil, the thai coconut milk, etc. There's a difference between not overfishing stocks to extinction and flying in lamb from New Zealand.

Very good point. But Moonen missed a great soapbox opportunity here -- on the one hand the US has a serious deer overpopulation problem, which is killing new forest growth, and on the other hand hunters can't sell their game so you have to import venison from NZ. What could be more sustainable than venison, if it were hunted locally?

Rayner says he docked him half a point.

Now Moonen is crying foul and saying the meat was in fact sustainable (love that word) and he has the facts (equals paid study by New Zealand venison council) to prove it. My problem is that wasn't his answer the night he was asked. His answer was "I'm not a tree hugger" which I find offensive and whatever he actually meant, sounds like he's throwing his whole movement under the bus and his whole reputation is nothing more than a shtick.

In any other challenge, it would have been a push to ask but in this one it was about stories and what defines you as a chef.

Very good point. But Moonen missed a great soapbox opportunity here -- on the one hand the US has a serious deer overpopulation problem, which is killing new forest growth, and on the other hand hunters can't sell their game so you have to import venison from NZ. What could be more sustainable than venison, if it were hunted locally?

Except, it's not moonen's cause. Overfishing he knows about. I give him credit for not just making stuff up because someone asked him a question on tv. Too bad he's panicked about it now

I went after you for no other reason than the US-England match ended 1-1 (before or after I posted).

Wouldn't that be something if we did well?

I'll keep out of your way if we do! It's not likely, is it?

She's Scottish. How do you know she wasn't angry because the US didn't kick the auld enemies butt?