Sign in to follow this  
tsquare

Indoor plant identification

Anyone?

4747134741_5415e9ae65_m.jpg

This trailing plant puts out these globes of flowers off and on all year - they grow facing downward, so always a nice surprise to find one. My hand for scale.

Anyone?

4747134741_5415e9ae65_m.jpg

This trailing plant puts out these globes of flowers off and on all year - they grow facing downward, so always a nice surprise to find one. My hand for scale.

Hoya. It's a lovely plant, just lovely, with dark green leathery leaves and those fabulous composite flowers. Here in Mexico, it's sometimes called terciopelo--velvet.

Does yours ever drip droplets of honey?

Do I win anything? A cutting would be nice...

P50911546.jpg

Is this one yours? And is it sometimes called terciopelo where you are? Here we are famous for making up whatever name strikes our fancy! For example, bugambilia is known as bugambilia most everywhere in Mexico, but in Morelia, it's called camelinas.

Cristina - Thank you for a name - does not seem to be an identifier though. No honey that I am aware of - perhaps the kitties take care of it? We would love to bring you a cutting (do you suppose customs would frown upon that?)

Miguel - beautiful photo - do you have a name for the plant?

Cristina - Thank you for a name - does not seem to be an identifier though. No honey that I am aware of - perhaps the kitties take care of it? We would love to bring you a cutting (do you suppose customs would frown upon that?)

Miguel - beautiful photo - do you have a name for the plant?

tsquare, it truly is what I mentioned: hoya. I had one for years that I grew from a cutting given to me by friends and would love to find another. Others have posted links to identifying websites. Why would you think it is not hoya?

If you come this way, customs would not care if you brought a cutting. As long as the plant is bare-root or a cutting, it can travel either way across the border. Plants in pots are a different story: a big no-no.

Thank you! I completely missed that "Hoya" was not a greeting in a foreign language.

Thank you! I completely missed that "Hoya" was not a greeting in a foreign language.

:lol:

Sounds like something I would think, too!

So when are you bringing the cutting? :P