Place is opened since 1900 and I have only gone once so, it's kind of pretty shitty of me to base 110 years of service on one night.. So, please keep that in mind..

Place is a red sauce Italian.. The make their own manicotti, sheets for lasagna, their own Ricotta Ravioli.. I tried the lasagna.. It had pork and veal.. A simple tomato sauce.. A competent version. Suprisingly, it was missing cheese.. It might have been in there but, I dont think there was any mozzarella.. Perhaps that would have flown had they given us a side bowl of fresh ricotta they way Sicilian Americans do it but, the missing Mozzarella was very strange.

We also had a plate of baked clams.. Clams were on par with most of the baked clams I have been receiving around town..

Finally, we split the Antipasto.. A little lettuce, three olives, two roasted peppers, three anchovy filets, two wedges of sharp provolone, a couple of little pieces of a pretty good mozzarella, two thin rounds of tomatoes and two pieces of salami.. Nothing very exciting..

We ordered a 22 dollar carafe of house wine.. There was also a 24 dollar bottle of the same type of wine Montepulciano.. We were under the idea that the Montepulciano bottle will most likely need an hour to breath so, we were pretty sure the Carafe bottle had been opened for a day and would most likely have be drinkable a day later..

Ricotta cheese cake was served too cold.. However ,it was very good..

They serve coffee and leave a bottle of Sambuca on the table for you to drink.. Love that.. .

I will be back.. Lots of people were ordering the SeaFood plates.. This guy had this huge plate of clams, mussles, all sorts of seafood.. I began to drool..

A large serving platter of Fried Calamari came out of the back kitchen.. For $17.95, it could have fed 5 people..

All in all, it was good. I can't wait to get a damn kitchen already.

Place is opened since 1900 and I have only gone once so, it's kind of pretty shitty of me to base 110 years of service on one night.. So, please keep that in mind..

Place is a red sauce Italian.. The make their own manicotti, sheets for lasagna, their own Ricotta Ravioli.. I tried the lasagna.. It had pork and veal.. A simple tomato sauce.. A competent version. Suprisingly, it was missing cheese.. It might have been in there but, I dont think there was any mozzarella.. Perhaps that would have flown had they given us a side bowl of fresh ricotta they way Sicilian Americans do it but, the missing Mozzarella was very strange.

We also had a plate of baked clams.. Clams were on par with most of the baked clams I have been receiving around town..

Finally, we split the Antipasto.. A little lettuce, three olives, two roasted peppers, three anchovy filets, two wedges of sharp provolone, a couple of little pieces of a pretty good mozzarella, two thin rounds of tomatoes and two pieces of salami.. Nothing very exciting..

We ordered a 22 dollar carafe of house wine.. There was also a 24 dollar bottle of the same type of wine Montepulciano.. We were under the idea that the Montepulciano bottle will most likely need an hour to breath so, we were pretty sure the Carafe bottle had been opened for a day and would most likely have be drinkable a day later..

Ricotta cheese cake was served too cold.. However ,it was very good..

They serve coffee and leave a bottle of Sambuca on the table for you to drink.. Love that.. .

I will be back.. Lots of people were ordering the SeaFood plates.. This guy had this huge plate of clams, mussles, all sorts of seafood.. I began to drool..

A large serving platter of Fried Calamari came out of the back kitchen.. For $17.95, it could have fed 5 people..

All in all, it was good. I can't wait to get a damn kitchen already.

Daniel, Daniel, Daniel... I love your posts. You find me places in Bklyn that I havent gotten to, you're willing to try things that I might want to try, you're young, you're mobile.... it's all good & I'm not anxious for you to get your kitchen done... bad for me :blush: . But, read my lips: DONT WASTE YOUR TIME ON THIS PLACE! Re-read your own review... everything was flawed in some serious way. Missing cheese, mediocre salad, wine that either never will breathe or has breathed its last gasp. Now listen to me... you got away lucky. It has it's moments but most of the moments are much worse than what you got. It's 20 years past being good (it had good eggplant parm a long time ago... sigh). And, by the way, this family is the reason that Grimaldi's hasnt been good since it was sold over 10 (maybe 15) years ago by one of the Patsy's family. The Bamonti family bought it and has run it into the ground. Move on. Try Frost or O'Conos (since I havent & want to know) or go to New Corners (Dyker/Bay Ridge) or Ortobello (I havent been in years: 65th/Bay Pkway). Okay?

New Corners! We want to hear about New Corners!

http://www.newcornerrestaurant.com/ 7201 8th Ave

In the past year or so, Ginny & I have been there twice, once with Lex/Deb & once with Rich/Peg. It's by no means a destination place but its a great piece of nostalgia with decent food and gentle prices. The eggplant rollatini app, for example, is enough to be an entree plus, but is a great starter to share amongst a small army (or just me). The oil paintings on the walls in the various rooms are straight out of one of those hotel art sales in quality but I'd bet that the owners have more sentimental attachment to each and probably consider them fine art. Lots of locals w/generations of families. All in all, worth a visit for the overall ambience and you wont go away hungry, much poorer or feeling it was bad food. How's that for an inspirational review? I'll be going back soon.

I don't know, I am thinking I will be either at Rocco's Calamari or Casa Calamari before New Corners..

Miss K used to call them zeros... And, I might go there just for the chance to hear her call them that again..

i think i had one of the funniest and worst meals of my life at Bamontes's about 7 or 8 years ago. it was all inedible - maybe one bite of one thing was passable but we laughed so hard at just how awful it was. and i believe remains. such a great space tho - it would have been heaven had it been even semi tasty.

yes, rocco's good, and i still want to try casa calamari for the zeros.

I'm sure I told this story before, but anyway....

For several years, I did volunteer work transcribing old census records for the US GenWeb Census Project. One of my assignments was 1910 Williamsburg, and one day I came across an entry for the Bamonte family, who lived pretty near where the restaurant is now. The father's occupation was listed as either bartender or saloon keeper, I can't remember which.

I'm sure I told this story before, but anyway....

For several years, I did volunteer work transcribing old census records for the US GenWeb Census Project. One of my assignments was 1910 Williamsburg, and one day I came across an entry for the Bamonte family, who lived pretty near where the restaurant is now. The father's occupation was listed as either bartender or saloon keeper, I can't remember which.

The Census Bureau doesn't have a listing for the type of work he did.

We went a few months ago when it was cooler and more conducive to the gut bomb of a meal that we expected. We weren't disappointed.

Typical red sauce joint. Surprisingly packed at 9ish on a Saturday night, I believe they turned the majority of the tables after our seating as well.

If you're lucky, and you order well, it'll be fine. Don't order the broccoli rabe, which arrived mushy and grey. Chicken parm was more of a salt bomb than usual.

The food at Gargulio's was better back in the day. I haven't been back there in years.

If you're dying for typical red sauce, while Bamonte's is fine as an event, you're much better off at Queen. I'd like to check out Sam's as well.