eh. sometimes people need a big f-you. The hasidim don't exactly have a rep for live and let live. Remember the stupidity surrounding the bedford ave bike lane? Women in shorts being offensive to them?

It's a community of religious fanatics who want to pretend they live in L'viv in 1650.

I think I missed the memo that said that we only extend liberal tolerance to people who are liberally tolerant. Or that we're only polite to people who are themselves polite.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that it's a dispositive point, but I should mention for the record that the chef is Jewish.

Obviously. No non-Jew would either care enough or dare to do that.

Well it works against some analogies, including the David Chang one which I proposed. A true analogy would be Chang opening a restaurant with a name designed to be offensive to some Korean-Americans.

eh. sometimes people need a big f-you. The hasidim don't exactly have a rep for live and let live. Remember the stupidity surrounding the bedford ave bike lane? Women in shorts being offensive to them?

It's a community of religious fanatics who want to pretend they live in L'viv in 1650.

I think I missed the memo that said that we only extend liberal tolerance to people who are liberally tolerant. Or that we're only polite to people who are themselves polite.

If they did not try to impose their ideals on others I'm on board with you - but as a group they wield tremendous power politicially and support lots of things I think are totally fucked up - so it is hard for me to embrace a live and let live ethos when it comes to this particular group. I'm surprised that you as an educated person of jewish descent don't grasp what these people are up to.

I totally grasp what they're up to. My wife used to work for a group that fought them. But that has nothing to do with gratuitously insulting them. If anything, shit like that gives them ammunition.

Also, this restaurant doesn't tweak them for anything that they do that bothers you or me. It makes fun specifically of their religious practices, which are none of our business. That's just wrong.

I totally grasp what they're up to. My wife used to work for a group that fought them. But that has nothing to do with gratuitously insulting them. If anything, shit like that gives them ammunition.

I guess you and I disagree on the intent in naming the place "Traif" - I sort of see it as an attmept to be funny that didn't come off too well - because well it isn't that funny. Its like a recycled bit from the concorde in 1964. You seem to be including some intent to thumb their nose at the hasidim.

I think no matter what the hasidim think its the latter - but that's because they are a dour and humorless bunch.

Its not like they called is "Chez Moshiach" or something. That would be intentionally pissing them off.

A true analogy would be Chang opening a restaurant with a name designed to be offensive to some Korean-Americans.

That's a pretty weak analogy. A good one would be if he were to open a restaurant with a name designed to be very slightly offensive to the north korean ruling party across the street from their UN mission (if they have something like that)

But even that would be different, because it would be (mildly) insulting people for their politics rather than their religion. I'm not for gratuitously insulting people for their politics, either, but to me religion is simply off the table as a topic for jest. (And believe me, I'm very strongly anti-religious.)

But even that would be different, because it would be (mildly) insulting people for their politics rather than their religion. I'm not for gratuitously insulting people for their politics, either, but to me religion is simply off the table as a topic for jest. (And believe me, I'm very strongly anti-religious.)

I disagree with that, but in any event I don't think these are very smart people making clever jokes. They're just jewcy.com reading, confused last generation Jewish hipsters who are starting to encroach on Satmar real estate. Hilarity and some broken ribs are certain to ensue.

p.s. I can't wait for their wine bar Nevelah & Nesech to open.

<admin on>

Reminder: Religion, whether religious fanaticism or simply its practice, is not something to be discussed here. Shah! Todah rabah.

<admin off>

As for the "concept" of the place: it's nothing new. Didn't some chef make a big deal last year about pairing chopped liver with bacon? And what of Joe Doe and his Berkshire pork kreplach? Both are identified by their creators as intentional nose thumbing. Marcus is just taking it a step further. The question is: how does it all taste?

The market will determine if it's a viable concept, whether by his neighbors storming the premises and burning it down, non-practicing Jews gleefully keeping it packed (or not) every night, or hipsters embracing (or not) its supposed "irony."