• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<admin on>

Reminder: Religion, whether religious fanaticism or simply its practice, is not something to be discussed here. Shah! Todah rabah.

<admin off>

Particularly if you don't explain the jokes for the benefit of the goyim.

I thought they were going to open a faux dive bar called The Mikvah.

wait til you see how the bread and wine service is going to work at my new place "Transubstantiation"

I would so TOTALLY blog about that.

Pretty sure most people past a certain age wouldn't know what it meant though. Ditto for "trayf" or "traif" (as it's spelled here).

<admin on>

Reminder: Religion, whether religious fanaticism or simply its practice, is not something to be discussed here. Shah! Todah rabah.

<admin off>

If you mean the Shah! Todah rabah.: not a joke; just means "Be quiet! Thank you very much" if what little I remember from Hebrew school holds. Since those discussing it most may be of the Hebrew persuasion (or closely allied thereto), I figured they'd understand the extra tweak.

Too bad Omni isn't posting, or she would have corrected my Hebrew (if there actually is anything wrong with it).

I'm not for gratuitously insulting people for their politics, either, but to me religion is simply off the table as a topic for jest.

No subject should be off the table as a topic for jest.

Unless he keeps threatening to waste our time with frivolous lawsuits.

The question is: how does it all taste?

It tastes good, and the dining crowd is entirely mixed, skewing if anything away from hipster towards a better dressed, slightly (slightly) older segment.

My takeaway from the discussion is not so much that the name is or is not offensive - both sides of the argument have merit - but that it attracts more attention than the food. Which, by the way, just isn't the kind of pork-'n'-bacon heavy cuisine you are led to expect. If the food was poor, any publicity would be welcome, but as I said in the review, the restaurant doesn't need the name.

<admin on>

<admin off>

If you mean the Shah! Todah rabah.: not a joke; just means "Be quiet! Thank you very much" if what little I remember from Hebrew school holds. Since those discussing it most may be of the Hebrew persuasion (or closely allied thereto), I figured they'd understand the extra tweak.

Too bad Omni isn't posting, or she would have corrected my Hebrew (if there actually is anything wrong with it).

I think "Shah" is Yiddish. The teachers in my Hebrew School would yell "Sheket!" at us (sometimes with a "B'vakasha" [please] if they weren't too stressed that day).