Which, by the way, just isn't the kind of pork-'n'-bacon heavy cuisine you are led to expect.

Eight dishes with pork, five with seafood, nine with neither (at least not explicitly).

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<admin on>

Reminder: Religion, whether religious fanaticism or simply its practice, is not something to be discussed here. Shah! Todah rabah.

<admin off>

Particularly if you don't explain the jokes for the benefit of the goyim.

If you mean the Shah! Todah rabah.: not a joke; just means "Be quiet! Thank you very much" if what little I remember from Hebrew school holds. Since those discussing it most may be of the Hebrew persuasion (or closely allied thereto), I figured they'd understand the extra tweak.

Too bad Omni isn't posting, or she would have corrected my Hebrew (if there actually is anything wrong with it).

I think "Shah" is Yiddish. The teachers in my Hebrew School would yell "Sheket!" at us (sometimes with a "B'vakasha" [please] if they weren't too stressed that day).

You're right. :)

Which, by the way, just isn't the kind of pork-'n'-bacon heavy cuisine you are led to expect.

Eight dishes with pork, five with seafood, nine with neither (at least not explicitly).

From the online menu for June?

The only dish with pork as a main ingredient when I visited was pork belly. Yes, there are several other dishes with bacon garnishes or ham chips and chorizo in the lamb meatbealls. But you can't put together some kind of Big Pig dinner from this menu.

Seafood? Scallops, prawns or calamari. Right, same as everywhere. Oh and some cockles. My point is that there is nothing unusual about the menu, and if anything it is much less pork driven than countless "meatcentric" menus from Maialino and The Breslin to Northern Spy Co. and anywhere Chang.

It's all words.

I don't know. My conclusion is that it's entirely superficial and must have seemed a good idea at the time. Whether this is more or less obnoxious than a restaurant which seriously sets out mock the beliefs of its neighbors is open to debate.

From the online menu for June?

The only dish with pork as a main ingredient when I visited was pork belly. Yes, there are several other dishes with bacon garnishes or ham chips and chorizo in the lamb meatbealls. But you can't put together some kind of Big Pig dinner from this menu.

Seafood? Scallops, prawns or calamari. Right, same as everywhere. Oh and some cockles. My point is that there is nothing unusual about the menu, and if anything it is much less pork driven than countless "meatcentric" menus from Maialino and The Breslin to Northern Spy Co. and anywhere Chang.

It's all words.

Ok but you realize that it isn't just pork that's unkosher. It's shellfish, the combo of meat and dairy...

But we were discussing shellfish, right there. :unsure:

Let me try it another way. If you shuffled this menu into a pile, and asked informed people to pick the menu of the restaurant with a hostile point to make about kosher food, this isn't the first menu they'd pick.

I am just trying to point a disconnect between the restaurant's self-billing and what it actually is.

I am just trying to point a disconnect between the restaurant's self-billing and what it actually is.

What do you imagine their menu would have to look like to fulfill their self-billed goal?

Other than the unfortunate inclusion of some vegetarian dishes (which I'm just guessing are not cooked in lard), they seem to have done a decent job offering non-kosher ingredients.

What do you imagine their menu would have to look like to fulfill their self-billed goal?

Other than the unfortunate inclusion of some vegetarian dishes (which I'm just guessing are not cooked in lard), they seem to have done a decent job offering non-kosher ingredients.

Most non-kosher restaurants do. You can tell the difference, surely, between a restaurant which isn't vegetarian and a restaurant which is militantly meatcentric and anti-vegetarian?

A menu which lived up to the billing I'd expect to offer a series of pork dishes, plenty of PORK offal, and possibly some pork/seafood combos. And there are such menus. Otherwise it is... just a normal non-kosher menu. Which it is.

{edited in response to pickiness}

Edited by Wilfrid

Most non-kosher restaurants do.

I would expect a menu offering a series of pork dishes, plenty of offal, and possibly some pork/seafood combos. And there are such menus. Otherwise it is... just a normal non-kosher menu. Which it is.

Classic Kosher dishes rendered absurdly non-kosher would have been my guess.

I wasn't going to bother reading this, but since I have official duties, I figured I better. Without knowing all the background, the restaurant seems to produce food in keeping with lots of modern menus. It looks like the owner and/or chef sat around making up menus and kept channeling their ancestors or grandmas saying "That's trayf!" It probably became such a common response that it stuck. I'm not a religious person, or schooled in religion, but I often say "That's not very kosher" as I indulge in a bowl of clams and pork in a butter enriched broth. It's just a joke. And it serves to broadcast to the local residents that yes, this place is not kosher. I don't find the name offensive. Silly perhaps. If you can subtitle a restaurant "a kosher deli" without offense, why not? Should they have called it "Little Plates, not kosher tapas"?

Most non-kosher restaurants do.

I would expect a menu offering a series of pork dishes, plenty of offal, and possibly some pork/seafood combos. And there are such menus. Otherwise it is... just a normal non-kosher menu. Which it is.

Offal (unless it's pig's) is generally kosher. So it's a normal non-kosher menu (actually not, but I'm not going to spend time counting the number of porky seafoody thing around town) with a publicity stunt of a name. Big deal.

It's clear that "traif" offends while "non-kosher" does not, although the meaning (if not the origin) is pretty much the same. A triumph of tone over semantics.

Its funny maybe the reason why I don't get the same vibe off it that others do is that I associate the term "traif" with hacky borscht belt comedy.