So it's a normal non-kosher menu (actually not, but I'm not going to spend time counting the number of porky seafoody thing around town) with a publicity stunt of a name. Big deal.

Er, that's what I've been saying.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to make the obvious point (which I'm sure everybody already gets), if this place opened up with this name (and that website blurb) in the East Village, I'd think it was tacky but not offensive. The problem is its opening in the South Side of Williamsburg. It's just hard not to see it as an attempted slap at the Chasids -- even if it isn't meant that way.

Do you worry about the bike repair shop, or is that just too goofy despite its location?

I didn't know about the bicycle shop. I think it's almost as bad. But here, the "celebrating pork and shellfish" blurb -- and the pig sign outside, if I understand it right -- just pushes it over the top.

Biblical scholars can correct me if I'm wrong ;) but I don't think there's any connotation of bicycles in the word "traif" (or any variant spelling) or vice versa. So one might reasonably assume that a person named Traif is the owner of the bicycle shop. Otoh, if one has just about any Jewish religious or cultural learning, the word is fraught with meaning.

Just sayin'.

I think the bike shop is run by an ex-chasid as a way of helping current chasids leave the community. (This is my dim recollection of the NY mag piece about the squabble over the bike lane, which is mostly interesting.)

Biblical scholars can correct me if I'm wrong ;) but I don't think there's any connotation of bicycles in the word "traif" (or any variant spelling) or vice versa. So one might reasonably assume that a person named Traif is the owner of the bicycle shop. Otoh, if one has just about any Jewish religious or cultural learning, the word is fraught with meaning.

Just sayin'.

Putting on my vanishingly small biblical scholar hat, tarif is widely used to refer to non-kosher affairs that have nothing to do with food. This has been the case for many centuries and indeed the use of tarif to describe any non-kosher food is an expansion on its original meaning of an animal that isn't dead yet (which would make it nevelah) but is so sick that it will die within some period of time.

So in current idiomatic use, a bike shop can be just as tarif as rock shrimp.

Just sayin'

I think the bike shop is run by an ex-chasid as a way of helping current chasids leave the community. (This is my dim recollection of the NY mag piece about the squabble over the bike lane, which is mostly interesting.)

If that's true, then (pace my exchange with Bonner upthread) this guy is engaging in actual political activity and not just offensive name-calling.

Just sayin'.

Putting on my vanishingly small biblical scholar hat, tarif is widely used to refer to non-kosher affairs that have nothing to do with food. This has been the case for many centuries and indeed the use of tarif to describe any non-kosher food is an expansion on its original meaning of an animal that isn't dead yet (which would make it nevelah) but is so sick that it will die within some period of time.

So in current idiomatic use, a bike shop can be just as tarif as rock shrimp.

Just sayin'

Okay, thanks. You definitely know the language better than I do. And what you say is corroborated in some of the comments on the restaurant's blog.

i'm waiting for "the spotted pig" to open a branch near a mosque, or for someone to open a steakhouse next to a hindu temple.

Pata Negra is around the corner from a large mosque.

If that Muslim community center opens downtown near the Trade Center site, I shudder to think what people will open near it.

Whoever tries to open anything near there needs to have very high capitalization, since the landlords are putting rents up to astronomical levels and forcing out most regular small business. And it's a dreadful block, really ugly and boring, so it might have to be some sort of destination. Anyway, whatever else might open nearby is unlikely to be as useful to the neighborhood as a community center.