Because it seems ambiguous, just to clarify what I was trying to say (and if this veers too far into politics please delete it), the un-American opposition to that center makes me worry what kind of Muslim-baiting will go on if it is ever opened.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because it seems ambiguous, just to clarify what I was trying to say (and if this veers too far into politics please delete it), the un-American opposition to that center makes me worry what kind of Muslim-baiting will go on if it is ever opened.

There are muslims in America? :unsure:

4810222023_02eef8e8cc.jpg

I think I missed the memo that said that we only extend liberal tolerance to people who are liberally tolerant. Or that we're only polite to people who are themselves polite.

At one point I came across a fairly convincing and obviously quite provocative argument that the most tolerant people were actually the most religious – true tolerance being more a matter of tolerating things that bother you than having a broad definition of what is appropriate and "just fine" normally. Probably just a semantic quibble and at any rate rare is almost just another word for "irrelevant", but it did make me rethink the appropriate use of the term "tolerant" at least.

I mean, we'd all be pretty offended if someone opened up a restaurant in the South Side making fun, however gently, of Dominicans (at least I hope we would).

I knew I would have to repeat this at some point, but I think my whole theme, starting with the Pink Pig post, was that the name is not supportable:

I don't want to get into whether it's a cute goof or perhaps a little tasteless to bill your cuisine as traif when you are neighbor to a large Hasidic community. It's not my fight. I will say that it does the restaurant itself insufficient justice.

Maybe I should have launched a campaign, but I didn't think it was my job. I hope the two owners read my review, are reading this, and ars they made a pointless problem for themselves.

I hear you about about making fun of Dominicans of course, but part of the great difficulty here - and hard to discuss within the guidelines - is really coming up with an analogy, whether it be Dominicans, African Americans, Mexicans... I mean you need to find a member of group naming a restaurant to needle the rest of the group. The obvious place to look is Islam, where I am sure it is possible.

...its original meaning of an animal that isn't dead yet (which would make it nevelah) but is so sick that it will die within some period of time.

Yo, can I just get a half point for ""Traif" - unkosher, as it's generally rendered, although it originally referred to the pre-vehicular equivalent of roadkill"?

i'm waiting for "the spotted pig" to open a branch near a mosque, or for someone to open a steakhouse next to a hindu temple.

Darling, it's crowded here. Restaurants aren't two hundred miles apart. :rolleyes:

The Breslin, or Meat Center Greaseface City as we call it, made some cosmetic changes to their facade and/or windows to protect nearby Mosque attendees from sight of the pig feet.

i'm waiting for "the spotted pig" to open a branch near a mosque, or for someone to open a steakhouse next to a hindu temple.

The mosque across the street from the Breslin was upset about drinking in plain sight.

The mosque across the street from the Breslin was upset about the drinking.

Maybe they didn't know about the pigs? :o

Not uncommon, I recall, in Ireland to find restaurants serving meat on Fridays on plates shaped like fish. We're dealing with a very specific, historically determined sensitivity here.

Darling, it's crowded here. Restaurants aren't two hundred miles apart. :rolleyes:

The Breslin, or Meat Center Greaseface City as we call it, made some cosmetic changes to their facade and/or windows to protect nearby Mosque attendees from sight of the pig feet.

there's a steakhouse next to a hindu temple. just wait till the vhp find out.

imagine if they'd named the restaurant "the drunken pig".

You see you just gave that away. Someone would have paid you for a name like that.

If they have laws like in Seattle, they couldn't serve alcohol. Drunken Goat? Nope - it ended up The Stumbling Goat. The Liquor Board no like references to alcohol abuse. (We also have the Fainting Goat - a goat milk gelato store. Who knew goats were so liked in the restaurant community?)