• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this case I don't think the photo you linked to was staged, it just seems like an in situ shot by a user of urbanspoon, but you can see she was using a flash.

I think at this point in time though, if you use a tourist class camera (not talking about UE class equipment) and limit yourself to one or two shots of a dish, it'll raise no suspicion whatsoever.

But you want to hear about the taboo stuff. Rock shrimp are strewn over puffy corn cakes, their brine buffered by a mango-tomatillo salsa ($8); chubby scallops arrive saturated in a fragrant sage-pistachio brown butter ($16); cockles get intimate with pancetta in a delicate pasta with a chili sucker punch ($12).

Then there was the seared foie gras, slumming it with fingerling potatoes, crisp shards of ham, and a fried egg, all dribbled with maple syrup and hot sauce ($15). Now this is chutzpah. Eric Ripert might weep to see foie gras treated thus. It's what you eat after a night of slugging Cristal. It's the Beastie Boys shrieking "Sabotage!"

Cute review.

http://events.nytime...html?ref=dining

wow, this is funny, that is my buddy and his wife in the photo, he never mentioned it.

I think at this point in time though, if you use a tourist class camera (not talking about UE class equipment) and limit yourself to one or two shots of a dish, it'll raise no suspicion whatsoever.

I can't tell if Wilfrid is trying to avoid being noticed as a critic, or if he is being respectful of his fellow-diners by not using equipment that could be considered a distraction.

I do agree with Orik that, in a place like Traif, neither is likely to be a significant concern.

Sometimes, it's just not worth shooting photos.

Yes. I've taken to providing links to staged shots. Same problem with my Acme review coming up. Dark, dark restaurant.

Yes, ACME and Traif has one of the most challenging light conditions in NY.

Overall most of the Williamsburg restaurants have poor light conditions, sometimes is difficult even to read the menu.

Not worth taking pictures even with nice cams

As I said elsewhere, I can guarantee that that's not the case.