Sign in to follow this  
helena

South Africa/Johannesburg?

Okay, N says to go to Gold Reef City (a sort of theme park about the gold rush days, but interesting and with good restaurants), Museum Africa in Newtown, Sandton City, where there's a mall, markets, and a little museum, and/or Rosebank, which is also a mall with a nice African market.

And N is a very nice South African. ;)

So I just got back from 2 weeks in SA. I went to most of these, as well as places in Durban, the Drakensberg Mountains, and Ithala Game Reserve. Gold Reef City is cool because you can go down an abandoned mineshaft. The rest is mostly an amusement park. I highly recommend the Sterkfontein Caves in the Cradle of Humanity outside Jo'burg; it's not everyday you get to wander around prehistoric caves.

Eating-wise, I had most of my meals at the various places we were staying at. However, I highly recommend the chain of Moyo restaurants, which are the few "nice" restaurants to feature black African food rather than the Afrikaaner/Indian/Cape Malay-influenced SA "standards". If you're on the run, the Nando's rotisserie chicken places (also in the UK & other countries) are a good bet.