splinky

Tulsi

You people talk like veterans of the Hundred Years War. Having survived minor eruptions at CH and rather major ones here I am so grateful to have missed entrely the eG and OA iterations.

It's always lovely to see people on Facebook who should have been relegated to the dustbin of history and see them regurgitate pablum.

So pleasant.

So when did Hemant leave?

"He has an event today. He was here yesterday, he'll be here tomorrow."

Really?

"Yes, yes."

But this isn't his food, I know his spicing.

Runs away.

So I can't tell you for sure, and maybe they'll offer a stage show for Steve R. and Co. as in Devi, but I have to place at least a small bet that he's no longer there. Maybe we should go tomorrow laugh.gif

he was there last night, but the food was completely different, the atmosphere totally off, service a bit awkward. definitely not his spicing.

I have no idea if Hemant is still there. But his partner, Dhandu Ram, was working the room last night. The food was very good, but I haven't had Hemant's cooking before so I have no baseline to compare it to.

Vegetable seekh kebabs ($9) were nice, although not exactly what I was expecting. Instead of actual whole vegetables, these were ground up veggies mixed in to some sort of dough. More carbs than veggies.

The signature lamb chops (on the menu as "Hemant's tandoor-grilled lamb chops") were pretty excellent. Worth an order if you love lamb chops. Garlic naan ($5) on the side was also very good - about on par with Malai Marke.

Pistachio kulfi ($9) was a really interesting dessert. Much more dense and creamy than ordinary ice cream. Also worth an order.

Prices here seem pretty reasonable. The lamb chops were the most expensive thing on the menu ($36), but the vast majority of mains were $26 and under. Still worth a visit.

I was there last year, I think around August. No Hemant in site, significantly sup par for this place, so much so that I dropped it from my list (I've been their 6 times).

Didn't get any of my normal comps, but that wasn't a concern, it was that the food was meh.

Afaik, Surbhi (pastry chef and Mrs. Hemant) is still involved, although she's also working on opening a bakery. But I haven't seen her in a few months.

Wish I were in that neighborhood more; it was one of my favorite places but I haven't been in ages.

From today's NYT:

HEMANT MATHUR has left Tulsi in Midtown to become the executive chef and partner at six other Indian restaurants: Haldi, which has a menu of Bengali, Marwari and Calcutta Jewish dishes; Kokum, Chote Nawab and Dhaba in Curry Hill; Chola on East 58th Street; and Malai Marke on East Sixth Street.

Shiva Natarajan owns all those restaurants. I've been to most of them and thought that they were already performing at a very good level. With Mathur on board I expect them to get even better.

From today's NYT:

HEMANT MATHUR has left Tulsi in Midtown to become the executive chef and partner at six other Indian restaurants: Haldi, which has a menu of Bengali, Marwari and Calcutta Jewish dishes; Kokum, Chote Nawab and Dhaba in Curry Hill; Chola on East 58th Street; and Malai Marke on East Sixth Street.

i wondered when this was going to be announced.

i like the idea that there will be more of Hemant's food available at multiple outlets. Sad that it may not have his personal touch

Awhile back I described Natarajan as the Indian Danny Meyer. Hiring Mathur is a "statement" move. It will be interesting to see what changes he'll make. I'm looking forward to it.

Maybe he'll follow Danny Meyer in opening a pizza place. We know Hemant's former partner frequented DiFaro.

DiFara.

Did Suvir ever open his place in SF?

Maybe he'll follow Danny Meyer in opening a pizza place. We know Hemant's former partner frequented DiFaro.

DiFara.

Did Suvir ever open his place in SF?

Nope. It's supposed to be across the street from The Market which I started a thread on last week.

NEMA (the building it's supposed to be in) is kind of weird. It's supposedly higher end condos, but it's been open for a while and they're already building another tower but the main designed entrance/corner area outside isn't done (or even looking like it's being worked on) and this restaurant was supposed to open in the fall.

Thanks for the reminder -- I had forgotten he's (supposed to be) going in that building.

Awhile back I described Natarajan as the Indian Danny Meyer. Hiring Mathur is a "statement" move. It will be interesting to see what changes he'll make. I'm looking forward to it.

I can't wait for Mongo's reviews.