Aquavit

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure the child will let me type so... Apps: Lobster Roll with pistachio & lemon yogurt, marinated salmon roe; Homemade ginger ale Curry marinated rabbit & grilled octopus; chocolate p

Overheard.

I'm going to have to admit this was an appropriate re-review.

Posted Images

The celestial raw beef dish consisted of slices of some very well-sourced beef, with juniper berries strewn on top. There were croutons of some characteristically Swedish bread in the middle. There was a mayonnaise or something like it also on top. The main point was how fabulously good the beef was. (I think the purveyor was called 7x.)

The Chateau Simone rosé that was paired with it didn't hurt.

• 3 years later...

For those near-ish enough to pick up from there, the Aquavit take home Smorgasbord ain’t bad.

We’re not actually near-ish, and whether there was a point in this exercise when we’re in walking distance of Russ & Daughters and Nordic Preserves to start with, I dunno. But I wanted to get out of the hood for the afternoon.

The “full” version ($115) easily fed two of us for dinner with enough left over for breakfast (a LEO... or technically a GER: gravlax eggs & ramps) and a light lunch (rest of the leftovers)

The Prinskorv are the only thing I could do without. They’re basically mini-hot dogs. I know they love them over in Sweden... and heck, I enjoy a frank now and then... but, still. I’d have just as soon they replaced them with more meatballs or, better, a different housemade sausage of some kind. Minor quibble. Would likely order assorted things a la carte next time rather than the full shebang if we venture up there again. Maybe pop into Schumer’s Wine to ogle the vintage port collection, too. 

5C97CDB1-59AD-4658-A312-CB722A2A843D.thumb.jpeg.69e0e88d4f47dcd319a792a1a4612553.jpeg

31431FA6-2EC5-4000-A775-1630F0020DEF.jpeg

• Like 1
11 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

Wow - looks great! And a lot of gravlax, if that's what I'm seeing.

A half-pound there by my estimation, as someone who eats sliced cured fish pretty regularly. The portions were quite generous. 

Caveat: there might be a lingering PX or similar on my name since I was friendly with Jernmark, even though he’s been gone awhile. They do seem to know me whenever I show up, even though it’s only once or twice a year we get that far North. But note it’s possible we got a heavy hand with the salmon.

• Like 1

Marcus is a great chef and a hell of a nice guy.  I did an event with him once; he was running the kitchen and there were maybe 8 or 9 real chefs...and me. Strangely, I got the job of shucking 240 day boat scallops.

North-10_01_13.jpg.75ab3dc1f7f0b85ec189a825017acf67.jpg

All the real chefs...and me.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/23/2020 at 2:48 PM, joethefoodie said:

Marcus is a great chef and a hell of a nice guy.  I did an event with him once; he was running the kitchen and there were maybe 8 or 9 real chefs...and me. Strangely, I got the job of shucking 240 day boat scallops.

North-10_01_13.jpg.75ab3dc1f7f0b85ec189a825017acf67.jpg

All the real chefs...and me.

Aw... Carl was so baby-faced (yet fully bearded) then. 

• Like 1