NFL 2010

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

It's coaching. Put aside the problems on the line, every year they stink in the first few weeks. That's all coaching. Jason Garrett is a terrible playcaller. How many fucking times did he call a quick out to a receiver that had no blockers in front? If he would watch the Patriots, they design the play with three blockers pulling in front of the receiver. The Cowboys leave the guy out there to get pummeled.

I'll watch soccer after I sit through the full season of Glee and Ugly Betty.

Watching Wade Phillips on the sidelines last night I was struck by just how much he reminded me of that other 3rd rate overmatched coach - the supine Norv Turner. Like Norv, he wanders around the sidelines looking pained and mildly peeved, shaking his head at the inexplicable series of misfortunes that have dogged him throughout his head coaching career. You can almost hear him thinking "Oh Lord, why me?"

Which would be forgivable if he was a commuter caught in an awful traffic jam. As a head coach, he is expected to play a more active role than pained spectator. He is supposed to take charge, scream at people who screw up and motivate people to play their best. You may have noticed that someone was actually performing this job on Sunday night - his name was Mike Shanahan.

That profoundly stupid pass with 4 seconds left in the 1st quarter that got intercepted and returned for a touchdown reminded me very much of the infamous Giant Fumble in 1978.

The Giants had the ball, and the Eagles had no timeouts left. Everyone watching expected quarterback Joe Pisarcik to take one more snap and kneel with the ball, thus running out the clock and preserving a 17-12 Giant upset. Instead, he attempted to hand it off to fullback Larry Csonka and botched it, allowing cornerback Herman Edwards to pick up the ball and run 26 yards for the winning score.

[The Giants' offensive coordinator] was fired the next morning. While his call was not cited as the reason, team officials did acknowledge he probably would have at least finished out the season if it had not occurred. So great was the stigma of having called the play that he never worked in football at any level again. He has since become manager of a bait shop in Florida, according to one report. He refuses to speak about the incident to this day.

Jason Garrett won't be fired.

Watching Wade Phillips on the sidelines last night I was struck by just how much he reminded me of that other 3rd rate overmatched coach - the supine Norv Turner. Like Norv, he wanders around the sidelines looking pained and mildly peeved, shaking his head at the inexplicable series of misfortunes that have dogged him throughout his head coaching career. You can almost hear him thinking "Oh Lord, why me?"

Which would be forgivable if the was commuter caught in an awful traffic jam. As a head coach, he is expected to play a more active role than pained spectator. He is supposed to take charge, scream at people who screw up and motivate people to play their best. You may have noticed that someone was actually performing this job on Sunday night - his name was Mike Shanahan.

That profoundly stupid pass with 4 seconds left in the 1st quarter that got intercepted and returned for a touchdown reminded me very much of the infamous Giant Fumble in 1978.

The Giants had the ball, and the Eagles had no timeouts left. Everyone watching expected quarterback Joe Pisarcik to take one more snap and kneel with the ball, thus running out the clock and preserving a 17-12 Giant upset. Instead, he attempted to hand it off to fullback Larry Csonka and botched it, allowing cornerback Herman Edwards to pick up the ball and run 26 yards for the winning score.

[The Giants' offensive coordinator] was fired the next morning. While his call was not cited as the reason, team officials did acknowledge he probably would have at least finished out the season if it had not occurred. So great was the stigma of having called the play that he never worked in football at any level again. He has since become manager of a bait shop in Florida, according to one report. He refuses to speak about the incident to this day.

Jason Garrett won't be fired.

And the hero of the play, Herman Edwards, got an even worse punishment... he wound up coaching the Jets.