NFL 2010

Watching Wade Phillips on the sidelines last night I was struck by just how much he reminded me of that other 3rd rate overmatched coach - the supine Norv Turner. Like Norv, he wanders around the sidelines looking pained and mildly peeved, shaking his head at the inexplicable series of misfortunes that have dogged him throughout his head coaching career. You can almost hear him thinking "Oh Lord, why me?"

Which would be forgivable if the was commuter caught in an awful traffic jam. As a head coach, he is expected to play a more active role than pained spectator. He is supposed to take charge, scream at people who screw up and motivate people to play their best. You may have noticed that someone was actually performing this job on Sunday night - his name was Mike Shanahan.

That profoundly stupid pass with 4 seconds left in the 1st quarter that got intercepted and returned for a touchdown reminded me very much of the infamous Giant Fumble in 1978.

The Giants had the ball, and the Eagles had no timeouts left. Everyone watching expected quarterback Joe Pisarcik to take one more snap and kneel with the ball, thus running out the clock and preserving a 17-12 Giant upset. Instead, he attempted to hand it off to fullback Larry Csonka and botched it, allowing cornerback Herman Edwards to pick up the ball and run 26 yards for the winning score.

[The Giants' offensive coordinator] was fired the next morning. While his call was not cited as the reason, team officials did acknowledge he probably would have at least finished out the season if it had not occurred. So great was the stigma of having called the play that he never worked in football at any level again. He has since become manager of a bait shop in Florida, according to one report. He refuses to speak about the incident to this day.

Jason Garrett won't be fired.

He's their next coach isn't he?

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching Wade Phillips on the sidelines last night I was struck by just how much he reminded me of that other 3rd rate overmatched coach - the supine Norv Turner. Like Norv, he wanders around the sidelines looking pained and mildly peeved, shaking his head at the inexplicable series of misfortunes that have dogged him throughout his head coaching career. You can almost hear him thinking "Oh Lord, why me?"

Which would be forgivable if the was commuter caught in an awful traffic jam. As a head coach, he is expected to play a more active role than pained spectator. He is supposed to take charge, scream at people who screw up and motivate people to play their best. You may have noticed that someone was actually performing this job on Sunday night - his name was Mike Shanahan.

That profoundly stupid pass with 4 seconds left in the 1st quarter that got intercepted and returned for a touchdown reminded me very much of the infamous Giant Fumble in 1978.

The Giants had the ball, and the Eagles had no timeouts left. Everyone watching expected quarterback Joe Pisarcik to take one more snap and kneel with the ball, thus running out the clock and preserving a 17-12 Giant upset. Instead, he attempted to hand it off to fullback Larry Csonka and botched it, allowing cornerback Herman Edwards to pick up the ball and run 26 yards for the winning score.

[The Giants' offensive coordinator] was fired the next morning. While his call was not cited as the reason, team officials did acknowledge he probably would have at least finished out the season if it had not occurred. So great was the stigma of having called the play that he never worked in football at any level again. He has since become manager of a bait shop in Florida, according to one report. He refuses to speak about the incident to this day.

Jason Garrett won't be fired.

He's their next coach isn't he?

I believe that is what Double J has said. Abysmal showing by the NFC East yesterday. Philly is going to be the most spectacular as the evil fans slowly realize Kolb is a mistake.

Michael Wilbon in today's Washington Post -

The Dallas Cowboys could be the single most overrated team in football . . . maybe the single most overrated team in all of professional sports in America. The franchise has won one playoff game since 1996. Every acquisition they make, every game they win is overstated. Their players are overly praised. They haven't mattered in a decade nearly as much as the New England Patriots or Pittsburgh Steelers or Indianapolis Colts or even the New York Giants or Philadelphia Eagles in their own division.

Every single thing about the Cowboys, in recent years anyway, has been overdone. They come into every season being picked to win something between a division and the Super Bowl but limp out to great disappointment annually.

This season the hype has been attached, most specifically, to the Cowboys' offense, to the supposed damage Romo and Miles Austin, Dez Bryant and Felix Jones are going to do, blah, blah, blah. Yet, the Cowboys looked like a bunch of stumblebums in the preseason, and pretty much the same through three quarters of the regular season opener Sunday night.

And the Redskins would seem to have a huge advantage along the sideline. I mean seriously, with your life on the line would you want to go to battle for Wade Phillips or Mike Shanahan?

NY Jets are being admonished for less than gentlemenly behavior when this reporter for mexican television channel decided to hang out in the locker room.

ines.sainz-bikini.jpg

I cant imagine what they were so excited about, and in her defense, she was not wearing the bikini in the locker room, but rather her usual professional attire:

ines_sainz2.jpg

NY Jets are being admonished for less than gentlemenly behavior when this reporter for mexican television channel decided to hang out in the locker room.

ines.sainz-bikini.jpg

I cant imagine what they were so excited about, and in her defense, she was not wearing the bikini in the locker room, but rather her usual professional attire:

ines_sainz2.jpg

She's a reporter? Was LA's Mayor Villaraigosa in the vicinity?

yes, it's only ugly women dressed in sacks who should not be subjected to loutish behaviour.

yes, it's only ugly women dressed in sacks who should not be subjected to loutish behaviour.

A noble sentiment, although if you google Ms. Sainz she actually looks better in clothes than au naturel.

ah yes, if only things were always as they should be rather than as they are.

ah yes, if only things were always as they should be rather than as they are.

mongos will be mongos.