NFL 2010

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, sign me up for the bandwagon. The Jets looked pretty good today. I think they can beat both the Steelers and the Packers (even more so the Bears if they should freakishly beat GB).

I guess they can beat anybody, but I can't see them beating the Packers.

Aaron Rodgers is on an amazing and possibly flukey streak. I'm not sure he can keep it up.

Well, he seems more consistent than Sanchez.

Sanchez had a better record in the regular season. (Not that it was purely, or even largely, Sanchez's doing, but it points to a more consistent team.)

You've lost me here. Do you mean the teams' W-L records? If so, pretty close. If you mean QB stats, all the (positive) ones I've found show Rodgers substantially ahead of Sanchez.

Maybe I'm overlooking something obvious.

I mean the team stats. The Jets can still win if Sanchez plays only adequately. When the Packers have won it's often been because Rodgers has played brilliantly. Can he keep it up?

I expect the Jets - Steelers game to be a war. Ben "the Ladie's Man" Roethlisberger shares none of Brady's weaknesses. He can take a hit. Hell, almost seems to like it. He moves around in the pocket like a drunken bear but that's deceptive. He's always scanning the field for his receivers and he almost always finds them.

My guess is that the Jets will assign a linebacker to shadow him and apply pressure. It wouldn't surprise me if they rotated the guys they have covering him so the Steeler's can't pick them off.

The Steelers match up with the Jets very well. They're very tough against the run and good against the pass as well. That said, the Jets ran the ball decently the last time they played. I expect them to keep doing that in order to hold down the pass rush.

Hey. Has anybody seen theclash lately? I'm worried about him.

The kid is 4-1 in playoff games. A lot of people have lost money betting that he'll fold.

If sanchez is an average NFL QB the jets are up 21 at the half instead of 11. Rex may be a blow hard, but completely changing your defensive philosophy to basically the opposite of what you've done your entire career is something that almost no coaches in the league have the humility and insight to attempt. He'll never get credit for it because of his personality but that was a smart smart move. Really, I thought that was great, and would like Perry Fewell to take lessons on how to adjust a game plan. Of course it only worked because the jets d-line was tremendous getting pressure with 4 and sometimes even 3!!!

And as I jump off the bandwagon now that boston sports fans have been eliminated (pitchers and catchers in under a month guys!!!) let me offer up a mashup of a mediocre boston movie and an overrated boston sports team

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh8eKrHXq6Q

The kid is 4-1 in playoff games. A lot of people have lost money betting that he'll fold.

There's your mistake. He is not 4-1 in playoff games. The team is 4-1 in playoff games. The last two games have seen brief experimental interludes where he is permitted to throw the ball over, under or around his receivers. The rest of the time he hands it off. Yes, he does complete some passes - nobody is arguing, I think, that he can't play his position - but they are usually short and easy.

There's your mistake. He is not 4-1 in playoff games. The team is 4-1 in playoff games. The last two games have seen brief experimental interludes where he is permitted to throw the ball over, under or around his receivers. The rest of the time he hands it off. Yes, he does complete some passes - nobody is arguing, I think, that he can't play his position - but they are usually short and easy.

Are there certain criteria that need to be met in order to state that a quarterback is 4-1 in the playoffs rather than the team he plays for is 4-1 in the playoffs, or are you saying that it is always improper to refer to a single position player with such a statistic?

Neither. I am only saying that when the topic of discussion is whether an individual member of the team is playing well or badly, the discussion can't be settled by pointing to the team's results. The question is precisely what contribution the individual made to those results.

I understand that it's unusual to be having this discussion when the individual in question is the quarterback - but that's really the point.

The question is precisely what contribution the individual made to those results.

Somebody threw those 3 touchdown passes on Sunday. Tom Terrific could only manage 2.

I am not delusional about this. Sanchez is a work in progress but he seems to raise his level of play in big games.

The question is precisely what contribution the individual made to those results.

Somebody threw those 3 touchdown passes on Sunday. Tom Terrific could only manage 2.

I am not delusional about this. Sanchez is a work in progress but he seems to raise his level of play in big games.

Lex empirically that is false. He was very bad in the playoffs last year, he was very bad last week. He was also crap for about half the game yesterday (q1 and q3)

I'm not saying he isn't better then he was a year ago, or denying that he is still a work in progress, but that game yesterday should have been a rout. Two of the touchdowns were great plays made by the receivers(LdT, Holmes), the third was a well thrown slant - probably the easiest route to throw.

BTW - isn't the best evidence for the Jets having much more talent surrounding the QB the fact that Woodhead got cut by the Jets (after Rex fawning over him for the entire run of "Hard Knocks") and then signing with the Pats and becoming a big part of the team? Branch is a starting wide receiver for the Pats and he was let go by the Seahawks - who have a guy with tight end speed playing wide receiver.