Sign in to follow this  
Sneakeater

Copenhagen

Just 3 days here in late June for Noma plus looking at Amass, Manfreds, No2, BROR (last two for a story mr nux is writing), and Lidkoeb and Ruby for drinks - we have one dinner to decide on between Relae, Kadeau, Studio, Radio - help?

the problem with choosing is all the un-chosen places where we don't get to eat...it's all so pretty, too...

at least Stockholm should be easier as our friend (whom you may remember from the Cornelissen dinner at Contra, we stayed in touch) will help. i should just let her pick, lol

Any recommendations for casual places? My sister and her husband will be in Copenhagen for a couple of days, it's the embarkation point for a cruise they are taking.

If it's not too late, the Torvehallerne outdoor market is probably the best bet. Lots of pretty good stalls. We were there in May though, so not sure if its snowing there already or not.

We also popped into quite a few places on the Jægersborggade street which were pretty nice.

Was just at Torvehallerne yesterday, here are a few pics (no snow yet!) Lots of fresh food to take home, and plenty of places to sit and have a drink and some prepared food.

29833636630_22911bf812.jpg

29833636300_e99fe319d9.jpg

30014583682_082edc1cb5.jpg[/url]

Here's a piece about Noma, which I thought was kind of, I don't know...funny?

The Greatest Restaurant In The World: Discovering A New Era Of Food At Noma

Especially this:

When I first encounter René Redzepi, he is cutting a live elk in half with a chainsaw. Noma’s unwavering commitment to native, hyper-local Nordic foods requires its kitchen staff to spend hours every morning foraging the neighboring woodlands and shorelines for wild ingredients, and Redzepi has a gift for sensing gastronomic potential in everything around him.

“A lot of times you can find these lovely little rose hip flowers pickling in the stomach fluids of the larger field mammals that live around here,” Redzepi says, his arm elbow-deep in the abdominal cavity of the freshly bisected animal, its viscera still twitching and gurgling as he fishes out two small, pink, slimy flower petals from within. “Sometimes you have to saw through 20 or so elk before you find any, but it’s always worth the effort. They’re absolutely perfect with caramelized sweetbreads.”

Here's a piece about Noma, which I thought was kind of, I don't know...funny?

The Greatest Restaurant In The World: Discovering A New Era Of Food At Noma

Especially this:

When I first encounter René Redzepi, he is cutting a live elk in half with a chainsaw. Noma’s unwavering commitment to native, hyper-local Nordic foods requires its kitchen staff to spend hours every morning foraging the neighboring woodlands and shorelines for wild ingredients, and Redzepi has a gift for sensing gastronomic potential in everything around him.[/size]

“A lot of times you can find these lovely little rose hip flowers pickling in the stomach fluids of the larger field mammals that live around here,” Redzepi says, his arm elbow-deep in the abdominal cavity of the freshly bisected animal, its viscera still twitching and gurgling as he fishes out two small, pink, slimy flower petals from within. “Sometimes you have to saw through 20 or so elk before you find any, but it’s always worth the effort. They’re absolutely perfect with caramelized sweetbreads.”

PETA will be paying Rene a visit if they get wind of this one.

When leaving Copenhagen, I was happy to find YoSushi, a running sushi place at the airport. I love these places, and this was very good. From my seat I could watch the chefs cutting the fish, the place was constantly busy, and everything I grabbed was fresh. And, an airport is the perfect place for this concept.

n.b. exchange rate is about 7 krones to the dollar.

30138666880_4c1ea03f31.jpg

30435986155_99a022781c.jpg