• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The NY Times has an article about the influence of north African cuisine on traditional Jewish foods. The emigration of many French north Africans to France in recent decades has created a different

How do you feel about something Indian?  I had been thinking of making (or having N make) a Calcutta chicken curry that The World of Jewish Cooking says is traditionally eaten on Shabbat and Rosh Hash

For a while, we were helping out my in-laws by ordering from a place called, I think, Harold's. Which was then picked up by my Oradel based b-i-l and brought over to his parent's (Westwood based) hous

We’re usually in NYC for Rosh Hashanah.  On either the first or second evening, we go to Tocqueville for their special holiday dinner with our daughter and son-in-law. The other evening, Michael and I go to another restaurant on our own for the regular menu (no long form tasting menus).  Sadly, that’s not happening now.  So, for the first time in many, many years, I’ll be preparing Rosh Hashanah dinner for two both nights at home in NJ.  The first night, I’ll make a pot roast; the second night, chicken.  A new deli/appetizing store recently opened nearby.  They aren’t kosher, but they carry many kosher items.  We’ve done  curbside pick-up several times, and everything we’ve gotten has been excellent.  Their Rosh Hashanah menu includes gefilte fish, so I’m going to get it there instead the jar kind.  Also, chicken soup with noodles and matzoh balls as well as some of their sensational chopped liver.  And a round challah. Haven’t decided on sides or dessert yet.

2 hours ago, rozrapp said:

We’re usually in NYC for Rosh Hashanah.  On either the first or second evening, we go to Tocqueville for their special holiday dinner with our daughter and son-in-law. The other evening, Michael and I go to another restaurant on our own for the regular menu (no long form tasting menus).  Sadly, that’s not happening now.  So, for the first time in many, many years, I’ll be preparing Rosh Hashanah dinner for two both nights at home in NJ.  The first night, I’ll make a pot roast; the second night, chicken.  A new deli/appetizing store recently opened nearby.  They aren’t kosher, but they carry many kosher items.  We’ve done  curbside pick-up several times, and everything we’ve gotten has been excellent.  Their Rosh Hashanah menu includes gefilte fish, so I’m going to get it there instead the jar kind.  Also, chicken soup with noodles and matzoh balls as well as some of their sensational chopped liver.  And a round challah. Haven’t decided on sides or dessert yet.

Big adjustments all around this year.   But, Roz, I have no doubt that these holiday meals will be some of your most memorable.  

12 hours ago, rozrapp said:

A new deli/appetizing store recently opened nearby.  They aren’t kosher, but they carry many kosher items.  We’ve done  curbside pick-up several times, and everything we’ve gotten has been excellent.  

For a while, we were helping out my in-laws by ordering from a place called, I think, Harold's. Which was then picked up by my Oradel based b-i-l and brought over to his parent's (Westwood based) house.  Then I think Harold's closed. If it was called Harold's. (Thankfully, the b-i-l is close by to his parents, as we haven't visited them since confinement began).

Anyway, what's the new place called?

And Sneakeater convinced me that a Mississippi roast is too goyishe to make for Rosh Hashanah, so I guess I'll just make a pretty classic brisket with the last piece of my frozen DeBragga brisket. And be happy, that in addition to a new year, I will now have some more free freezer space.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, voyager said:

Big adjustments all around this year.   But, Roz, I have no doubt that these holiday meals will be some of your most memorable.  

So true about adjustments!  

2 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

For a while, we were helping out my in-laws by ordering from a place called, I think, Harold's. Which was then picked up by my Oradel based b-i-l and brought over to his parent's (Westwood based) house.  Then I think Harold's closed. If it was called Harold's. (Thankfully, the b-i-l is close by to his parents, as we haven't visited them since confinement began).

Anyway, what's the new place called?

And Sneakeater convinced me that a Mississippi roast is too goyishe to make for Rosh Hashanah, so I guess I'll just make a pretty classic brisket with the last piece of my frozen DeBragga brisket. And be happy, that in addition to a new year, I will now have some more free freezer space.

The only Harold’s Deli in NJ I know of is located in Edison.  Not kosher.  Never been there. Known for its super-humongous sandwiches.   You got me curious about this other Harold’s in Oradell (note correct spelling), so I Googled and discovered it was a kosher market.  Closed permanently because of the pandemic. 

The deli near us is called The Pickled Herring. (Love the name!)  Took over a space that was previously a deli called Jerry & Harvey’s which had been around for ages.  Didn’t patronize it much. The Pickle Herring’s quality is, thankfully, far superior. 

• Like 1

Now that the kosher bakery in SF is making truck stops all around the Bay Area, I put in my order for honey cake, round challah, and Moroccan carrot salad.  N will be making the Indian chicken curry with potatoes on the side (no rice--she made an Iranian stew on Sunday so we'll be eating rice leftovers for days).  We also have this Iranian (I think) dried pomegranate fruit roll-up, which is quite tart and takes care of the apple/pomegranate symbolism.

I just order my Apple/Raisin/Cinnamon/Honey/Brown Sugar/Crumb Challah from one of our local bakeries. We had it last year and it was insanely good. They also do an apple honey twist sourdough boule for the holiday which we ordered. And a mocha cake since I can't bake.

I made way too much food (what a shock!!). Yesterday's lunch of hummus with ground lamb was outrageously good considering the hummus was made on Friday. Chickpeas were cooked until almost mushy which resulted in beautifully smooth, silky hummus. The Sammy Tamimi recipe from Falastin is my new go to when I don't want to go through all the Solomonov steps in Zahav. Ground lamb cooked was well seasoned. Hummus came out of fridge early enough to come to room temp and with the hot lamb - just joyous. This is not fancy food. It's simple, good, and immensely satisfying.