Cooking for Rosh Hashonah and NY GIants Gameday. (Season is now officially over).  Went with Steven Raichlen's  smoked Lamb Ribs. Cooked for approximately 3 hours with cherry and apple wood chips. Substituted Black Cherry soda for the cherry coke in the BBQ sauce and it was great. Nice smoke ring, very tender and meaty for lamb ribs. Smoked a whole chicken also. Served with braised kale , tomato salad and grits. Peach Blueberry pie with ice cream for dessert. 

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The NY Times has an article about the influence of north African cuisine on traditional Jewish foods. The emigration of many French north Africans to France in recent decades has created a different

How do you feel about something Indian?  I had been thinking of making (or having N make) a Calcutta chicken curry that The World of Jewish Cooking says is traditionally eaten on Shabbat and Rosh Hash

For a while, we were helping out my in-laws by ordering from a place called, I think, Harold's. Which was then picked up by my Oradel based b-i-l and brought over to his parent's (Westwood based) hous

1 hour ago, bloviatrix said:

I made way too much food (what a shock!!). Yesterday's lunch of hummus with ground lamb was outrageously good considering the hummus was made on Friday. Chickpeas were cooked until almost mushy which resulted in beautifully smooth, silky hummus. The Sammy Tamimi recipe from Falastin is my new go to when I don't want to go through all the Solomonov steps in Zahav. Ground lamb cooked was well seasoned. Hummus came out of fridge early enough to come to room temp and with the hot lamb - just joyous. This is not fancy food. It's simple, good, and immensely satisfying.

Blovi, you served these side by side and nor combined, right?

14 minutes ago, voyager said:

Blovi, you served these side by side and nor combined, right?

We put the hummus down on the plate, made a bit of depression in the middle and mounded the lamb on top so the fat oozed into the hummus and as we help ourselves everything got combined. The one missing was man'ousche (za'atar flatbread that I make) because of the oven issue.

1 hour ago, bloviatrix said:

We put the hummus down on the plate, made a bit of depression in the middle and mounded the lamb on top so the fat oozed into the hummus and as we help ourselves everything got combined. The one missing was man'ousche (za'atar flatbread that I make) because of the oven issue.

Can you FedEx 2 portions?

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, mitchells said:

Not Rosh Hashana but Yom Kippur, with Fairway gone we have to source smoked salmon to be delivered. Looks like Baldor sells Acme and Catsmo. Which should I get? 

You could go with Russ & Daughters or Zabar's too.

28 minutes ago, mitchells said:

Not Rosh Hashana but Yom Kippur, with Fairway gone we have to source smoked salmon to be delivered. Looks like Baldor sells Acme and Catsmo. Which should I get? 

One of each.

Fresh Direct carries a lot of smoked salmon of different pedigree. And Utopia Bagels, albeit frozen. But for a full spread, nothing like R & D, Get your order in quick.

43 minutes ago, mitchells said:

Both make a variety of products, but iirc baldor carries the Irish and Scottish from catsmo and just the ho hum supermarket product from acme 

9 hours ago, Orik said:

Both make a variety of products, but iirc baldor carries the Irish and Scottish from catsmo and just the ho hum supermarket product from acme 

"Variety" is putting it lightly - don't they make a shit ton, under a number of different labels. Isn't all the pre-packaged stuff Acme produces pretty much the hohum supermarket product?

I always find the loxes (for want of a better word) a little (for want of a better word) oily, for my taste.

12 hours ago, Orik said:

Does R&D vacuum pack their salmon for shipping? If they don't then that would be a reason. 

I dunno, I say smugly.

For me, they only truck it (or bicycle it, or whatever) from one end of Vanderbilt Ave. to the other.