Alternatives to Illustrator?

I need to provide vector art for production of a piece. I can't believe they can't do it with a hi-res tif file but so be it. I really don't want to buy Illustrator. Are there any cheaper vector art programs that don't totally suck or take over your computer?

I need to provide vector art for production of a piece. I can't believe they can't do it with a hi-res tif file but so be it. I really don't want to buy Illustrator. Are there any cheaper vector art programs that don't totally suck or take over your computer?

you know there are programs and/or websites that can take a tiff and basically electronically trace it to turn it into vector art. I can't remember what search phrase I was using to find it, but I did. I might have it bookmarked at home (maybe)

Found it http://vectormagic.com/home

The usual free Linux answer is Inkscape which does have a Windows and OS X port, though I've never tried it on those platforms.

Another alternative on Windows is Xara Designer (nee Xara Xtreme). You do have to pay to keep it, but it might (probably) be faster than Inkscape since it was written for Windows.

buy illustrator. It is the industry standard. if the other applications can't save out as an eps and open in illustrator- they are a waste of time

Let me know if you need help converting the tif image.