there is no information in how a conference does in a series of bowl games, even less information then comparing how conferences do in the NCAA BBall tournament.

there's just the record of wins and losses. not so good for Big Ten so far. If Arkansas whips up on OSU, that will only get worse.

sure but that doesn't tell you anything about the relative quality of the conferences.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is no information in how a conference does in a series of bowl games, even less information then comparing how conferences do in the NCAA BBall tournament.

there's just the record of wins and losses. not so good for Big Ten so far. If Arkansas whips up on OSU, that will only get worse.

sure but that doesn't tell you anything about the relative quality of the conferences.

right, but if your conference loses game after game, that might be an indicator. just sayin'

right, but if your conference loses game after game, that might be an indicator. just sayin'

no it isn't. Its statistics. You can't draw a conclusion from an 8 game sample, especially a sample that isn't random

no it isn't. Its statistics. You can't draw a conclusion from an 8 game sample, especially a sample that isn't random

well, lol, you can't but i can.

If you can't grasp why bowl records are meaningless in this context then I can't help you. BTW I'm an SEC fan, not a big ten fan. SEC done pretty well this year. Hell even FL won.

If you can't grasp why bowl records are meaningless in this context then I can't help you. BTW I'm an SEC fan, not a big ten fan. SEC done pretty well this year. Hell even FL won.

hmmm? grasping? like the Hokies are doing? i suppose i agree conference bowl records are collectively meaningless, but i think individual game scores mean a lot. hence, TCU's hopes of moving up in the polls just got dashed.

AB, of course you are correct from a statistical analysis perspective, but you and I both know that 99.9% of the folks out there watching college football don't think that way and never will. Plus, the comments by the media only fuel the fire. Bottomline is that if your conference goes into bowl season or march madness and loses game after game to other conferences, the public perception will be that your conference is not as strong. that's just people.

Actually that means that they aren't as strong.

The Big 10 teams usually get ranked higher than they should because their records against other Big 10 teams that are also ranked too high. Anyone who saw Michigan St play this year knew they sucked. Alabama proved it.

The problem the Big 10 teams have in football (other than a few OSU teams) is that they are significantly slower on offense and defense than the SEC, ACC and Pac whatever schools. Runningbacks on Iowa and Wisconsin that look fast against Big 10 teams look like they are running in mud against SEC teams.

Actually that means that they aren't as strong.

The Big 10 teams usually get ranked higher than they should because their records against other Big 10 teams that are also ranked too high. Anyone who saw Michigan St play this year knew they sucked. Alabama proved it.

The problem the Big 10 teams have in football (other than a few OSU teams) is that they are significantly slower on offense and defense than the SEC, ACC and Pac whatever schools. Runningbacks on Iowa and Wisconsin that look fast against Big 10 teams look like they are running in mud against SEC teams.

If you are basing your theory on the bowl stats I'm not sure how you can except any OSU teams. Lots of theories out there about whether or not the power is shifting.

I should add that I do think that Big 10 teams are often over ranked. And that it has to do with the Big 10's media/marketing machine.

What I meant with OSU being an exception is they typically have been pretty speedy, at least on offense.

And forget rankings, here is all you need to know regarding the real strength of the teams: Of the 8 Big 10 teams in bowls this year only 2 have been betting favorites. Illinois was favored by 2 and OSU is favored by 3 tonight. Las Vegas knows more about who the good teams are than the any of the ranking systems.

What I meant with OSU being an exception is they typically have been pretty speedy, at least on offense.

And forget rankings, here is all you need to know regarding the real strength of the teams: Of the 8 Big 10 teams in bowls this year only 2 have been betting favorites. Illinois was favored by 2 and OSU is favored by 3 tonight. Las Vegas knows more about who the good teams are than the any of the ranking systems.

I thought Vegas did not care who was best but weighted the odds to get the most money from the most bettors.

I thought Vegas did not care who was best but weighted the odds to get the most money from the most bettors.

true, but the bigger the betting pool the closer to the actual expected outcome the odds get.

Here is an example of the Las Vegas view of team strength compared to the rankings. Michigan St was ranked 7th. Alabama was ranked 15th yet was favored by 8 pts over Michigan St. Many people would say Alabama upset Mich St because Mich St was ranked higher but they would be wrong.