carnitas

so, i have some leftover pulled pork and i want to make fake carnitas with what's left. thinking i'll saute some onions and garlic with ground cumin, coriander in olive oil, quick fry the pulled pork in the the oil and add chicken broth and braise the pork in an open cast iron pot adding in some fresh oregano and cilantro. i was thinking it would also need some canned chipotles and the juice from the can to give it some bite. what am i missing? bay leaf? cinnamon? what else? is the approach entirely wrong. i really don't want to waste this pulled pork

• Like 1

Um, yeah, what you'll end up with will be delicious, but it won't be carnitas. For that, you start with raw pork (shoulder or butt?), chunk it up, start it cooking with water and aromatics, then slowly let the water boil out until the meat is frying in its own fat.

Here's David Lebovitz's recipe, not at all Frenchified. Except that he sears first, then braises with water, then lets the liquid boil off. Maybe French pork shoulder works better that way. :unsure: But he does suggest some nice aromatics.

As for the ones you're considering -- sure, why not? Just watch that you don't add too much, esp. chipotle & adobo, since it will all cook down and get stronger. And you want it to end up dryish, not like pork in sauce. Although if I were adding oregano early, I'd add dried and only add fresh at the end. And add the cilantro at the end, always. You could finish it with a little vinegar, too, if the cast-iron pot is well seasoned.

i did say fake it. the pork has been cooked once and is already pulled. i think i want to end up with a little light sauce on the side from the broth and serve it over rice. i like the aromatics that lebovitz suggests and i think i have dried ground chipotle, too. maybe i'll skip the canned peppers. might be nice as a salad topper, too. now i have to find time and energy to do this. i'll be happy to take any further advice. :)

I wouldn't cook pulled pork all that much more. I'd just make a green salsa (or whatever salsa you want) and make tacos. If you want some crunch just quick fry the meat, but I wouldn't braise it -- it being fully slow cooked, shredded meat.

Does it have some sort of sauce on it already? Either way, I would advise against adding anything other than a red or green cooked salsa, some raw (sweet) onion, and cilantro, if you like it. Layering on those other flavors is overkill.

I wouldn't cook pulled pork all that much more. I'd just make a green salsa (or whatever salsa you want) and make tacos. If you want some crunch just quick fry the meat, but I wouldn't braise it -- it being fully slow cooked, shredded meat.

Ditto. Heat it up and add spices.

• 2 years later...

So, thanks to this picture, I currently have flank steak marinating for steak tacos. I used the same citrus and added a paste of onion, chipotles, ancho, cumin, oregano, and garlic. I also have some prime rib bones that I will throw in the same marinade and toss in the freezer. Tyler thanks you for this evenings craving :)

So, thanks to this picture, I currently have flank steak marinating for steak tacos. I used the same citrus and added a paste of onion, chipotles, ancho, cumin, oregano, and garlic. I also have some prime rib bones that I will throw in the same marinade and toss in the freezer. Tyler thanks you for this evenings craving :)

please tell Tyler that he's very welcome. my paste was cumin, cilantro, paprika, cinnamon, salt, pepper, onion, garlic and chicken stock