Thanksgiving 2010

Another reason to give thanks: the friends who hosted entertain frequently and lavishly and receive much wine, which they are not terribly interested in, from various guests over the course of the year. Yesterday they decided that the presence of me and a few other champagne lovers was a good reason to break out the vintage stuff they have been gifted recently. Including some Krug.

Brussels sprouts were an enormous hit with a Brazilian guest who had never even heard of much less eaten them.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeez, all I have done is scale and gut the fish (Saturday when I bought it) and bought 3 extra boxes of kosher salt and a couple of cheap aluminum "hotel pans.". And thought about stuff, a lot.

I've decided to do the whole thing telepathically this year.

Next year. :lol:

Daisy -- yes, I am lucky: my guests are indeed pretty easy-going. They eat out plenty, but unless they go to some of the highly touted NBC places, they won't get this kind of food out. ;) As long as I make my spicy macaroni and cheese, they're happy. Otherwise, pouts all around. ;)

Happy T-Day to all.

One of your guest is extremely picky! Having said that, the Mac and Cheese was awesome, and all the left overs were consumed at 1am last night. Except, for the quincy cranberry sauce.

Having the mac-and-cheese as I type this. Fish got scarfed down a moment ago. :)

Thanks for having us over. When tomatoes are back in season, I promise to indeed bring over a couple of jars of confit ... one for Princess and one for you. :lol:

Our Thanksgiving was all over the place,and I didn't care....chopped liver and crackers for app.Brodetto,tagliatelle and maple glazed brussel sprouts for main.Tart Tatin with olive oil gelato for dessert.Abazzia d'Novacella Kerner to drink with all,and we were thankful enuf.

I can't get excited about Thanksgiving this year. I haven't even thought about shopping/cooking yet, though I don't suppose it matters. The family will never let me serve anything but the old favorites. Blah. Boring.

Everything was great Chez Allen. I even managed to work in a couple of non-traditional dishes that were a huge hit. Roasted pears & red onions with rosemary & sherry vinegar and a spinach & mushroom panade.

all i can say is - thanks mile end.

they prepared brisket, cornbread stuffing with duck bits, roasted fennel apple, cranberry sauce, eggplant spread, brisket, and rye bread.

really terrific. best brisket i've had in a long time. i wonder if it's on their regular menu.

That sounds like an awesome meal for Thanksgiving!

I was surprised to see Lyle's Golden Syrup at my shitty Key Food, so I decided to make my pecan pie with it instead of corn syrup. I'd never got 'round to trying it before. I think this was the best pecan pie I've ever made. Lyle's has a nice caramel flavor and it is quite sweet without the overwhelming chemical weapon-like sweetness of corn syrup.

I can't get excited about Thanksgiving this year. I haven't even thought about shopping/cooking yet, though I don't suppose it matters. The family will never let me serve anything but the old favorites. Blah. Boring.

Everything was great Chez Allen. I even managed to work in a couple of non-traditional dishes that were a huge hit. Roasted pears & red onions with rosemary & sherry vinegar and a spinach & mushroom panade.

Hi Deb! Do you happen to have a recipe you can share for the roasted pears? (I have a bag of Asian pears I need to use.)

Hi Deb! Do you happen to have a recipe you can share for the roasted pears? (I have a bag of Asian pears I need to use.)

Hi Girlfriend! Hope you & Russ had a wonderful T-Day! I saw a recipe for the pears somewhere, but just winged it when I put it together. Peel red onions and leave a little of the root end so the wedges hold together. Cut into wedges. Core & cut pears into quarters. Put pears & onions into a baking dish. Drizzle with some melted butter and then some sherry vinegar. Salt & pepper. Lay a few sprigs of rosemary on top and cover tightly with foil. Roast at 425 for about 20 minutes. Remove foil and cook another 10-15 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh rosemary leaves. I found them better at room temperature than hot and even better the next day. They'd be great on an open face turkey sandwich!

they prepared brisket, cornbread stuffing with duck bits, roasted fennel apple, cranberry sauce, eggplant spread, brisket, and rye bread.

really terrific. best brisket i've had in a long time. i wonder if it's on their regular menu.

I was surprised to see Lyle's Golden Syrup at my shitty Key Food, so I decided to make my pecan pie with it instead of corn syrup. I'd never got 'round to trying it before. I think this was the best pecan pie I've ever made. Lyle's has a nice caramel flavor and it is quite sweet without the overwhelming chemical weapon-like sweetness of corn syrup.

I'm in total agreement here...I became a convert a couple of years ago and haven't looked back.

I'm in total agreement here...I became a convert a couple of years ago and haven't looked back.

I was only enlightened last year, but I too am in total agreement.

Me too. I borrowed SeaGal's jar to use when making Dorie Greenspan's Thanksgiving Twofer pie and it was awesome. I was worried it was going to be too sweet but it was perfect.

i roasted the turkey the exact same way as i always do (the breast-down all the way method as per elise's mom) but this bird got done 30 minutes earlier than last year's bird, despite being heavier. i have no idea why. it's a good thing i checked as it was at the perfect temperature when i took it out. alas, it had to rest for more than 20 minutes as its early exit from the oven threw off the synchronization of all the re-heating and stuffing finishing, and this may have caused it to dry out a little. the breast was still very moist though.

I roasted two 17 lbs turkeys from Otis Farms this year (one on the grill and one in the oven) and both of them finished up almost an hour before I thought they would. Thankfully I had plenty of help in the kitchen and we were ahead of schedule on all of the other parts of the meal. The birds were out of the oven a bit longer than I wanted them to be but were still in good shape for serving.

Maple tarragon sweet potatoes got tons of praise this year even though that recipe has been kicking around my family for many years. I think the key this year was that they were baked on Wednesday and then warmed through and held warm for a while before dinner so they were much softer than in years past.