How Pop Music Stopped

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought we had a thread on this, but perhaps I expressed my view that pop music came to a standstill a few years ago in the middle of a longer thread.   Anyway, further anecdotal evidence. I was

there is no past and present any more.

Fair enough. I thought it was more recent. It sounds like it could have been released last week, which tends to support the point.

• 1 month later...

Apparently the Robinson brothers are back in a reformed Black Crowes.  Doesn't seem as if they have any new material.  So maybe pop music stopped for them and they just want to capitalize on the past.  Yet what was their biggest song?  A cover of Redding's "Hard to Handle"?   Remembrance of things past.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

A few days earlier, I had a similar experience at a local diner, where the entire staff was under thirty but every song more than forty years old. I asked my server: “Why are you playing this old music?” She looked at me in surprise before answering: “Oh, I like these songs.”

Good piece. I was looking at one of his books in the library recently but I can't remember which one.

All he's missing is where he should ask the reader to imagine young people forty years ago listening to playlists of forty year-old songs. I remember 1982 well enough to attest that the only people listening to playlists from 1942 were parents and grandparents.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Let me tell you something that absolutely has not changed.  Lax bro pump up music. Took AB^2 to a Princeton - Dartmouth game and the warm up music (chosen by the players) probably didn't have a track post 2004 and the crescendo was "Enter Sandman," a song on our locker room playlist in the mid 90s.

How embarrassing. Did Townsend get his hearing back? I remember he reverted to acoustic guitar and had a plastic wall around him on stage to protect him from the noise. And hey, that was probably forty years ago.