Can't find Duck Choo Chee on the West Coast

(Hi all...new to the group, so hope I'm doing this correctly!)

I recently spent the weekend with dear friends and enjoyed the entire time cooking, eating, drinking, napping, and laughing.

And I’m not just talking regular food…we are talking Deep Fry Fest 2010 meets Duck Fest 2010. And it was awesome.

This recipe for Duck Choo Chee, which incidentally is amazing and one of those stupid things I can’t seem to find on the West Coast, is very easy and quite delicious. It did start with us deep frying a whole duck, that’s right, a whole duck…but we’ll get to that story later. In the meantime, enjoy this over brown rice with a slightly sweeter wine such as a Viognier. It’s a very pretty dish that can be made the day before, so is excellent for entertaining a crowd…presuming they can handle a little spiciness. Note, you can also certainly modify this to your spicy preference. As this is written it’s about a 2 out of 5 on the spicy scale.

Full recipe here: http://wp.me/puWta-7Y

Also...anyone have any recommendations for a good duck choo chee in Seattle?

Welcome, Shut Up. (Um, that doesn't sound quite right. Even though your screen name is the same as your blog, you might want to rethink it. :unsure: ).

A little Googling turned up a place called Kwanjai Thai in Seattle. Since I'm on the opposite coast, I don't know if it even still exists. But at least they make dishes with that in the name.

I think the most common protein with choo chee is fish (choo chee pla). If you find a place that does choo chee pla, you could probably get them to do choo chee bhet, though I don't know if they'd fry the duck whole--too time/labour consuming. Wherever you go, make sure they don't use ketchup in their choo chee. Choo chee with ketchup is one of the most disgusting "Thai" dishes I've ever had.

Wow...thanks for all the helpful thoughts and tips!

Really appreciate it.

Is this, I'm guessing, the same as shoo shee? I've definitely only ever seen shoo shee as fish, in general, salmon, around here--Jamjuree on 15th off the top of my head.

Oh yeah - salmon at Buddha Ruska (West Seattle, just over the bridge). And lots of duck preps too.

http://www.buddharuksa.com/passion/Menu2008.pdf

Hadn't noticed before that they have Koi Soy as well...I think I feel a visit coming soon.

I went and found the Khao soy to be severely lacking--though I was there at lunch and someone later told me they thought it was significantly better at dinner.

Oh yeah - salmon at Buddha Ruska (West Seattle, just over the bridge). And lots of duck preps too.

http://www.buddharuksa.com/passion/Menu2008.pdf

Hadn't noticed before that they have Koi Soy as well...I think I feel a visit coming soon.

I went and found the Khao soy to be severely lacking--though I was there at lunch and someone later told me they thought it was significantly better at dinner.

Thread hijack!

Oh, thanks for the heads up. We like the Kao Soy at Spice Room (Columbia City.) Have you tried it or found another spot? (Pretty glad I didn't eat Koi - I've heard they aren't very tasty!)