The Sam Sifton thread

I'd be pretty surprised if Ripert would ever open a restaurant that cynical.

Wasn't he invloved in something about a year or two ago that was highly criticized? He left or the place closed. Don't recall all the details.

Barca 18.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't he invloved in something about a year or two ago that was highly criticized? He left or the place closed. Don't recall all the details.

There was that Angoran tapas place on Park Ave. South.

ETA -- But you're thinking of something more recent and more blatant -- but outside of New York. Shit, I'm so senile I can't remember it.

He has DC & Philly restaurants. I don't know how successful they are.

* Then again, I suppose Rich might be referring to decline since the late 19th century

Opening night was great - cattle was walking in front the place and customers chose their own for slaughtering.

I thought on opening night the cattle chose the customers.

That's what made it great and exciting - never knew which way it was going to go.

Barca 18.

That's the one - thanks.

However, Bar Q was one of the worst restaurants in NYC. Absolutely despicable.

By the way, Bar Q was one of Bruni's few misses at the casual end. He gave it two stars. Although he made quite a few mistakes at the high end, his reviews of casual joints—the segment of the dining spectrum he best understood—were usually spot-on.

Several folks mentioned Barça 18, which I think differs from Bar Q in a few crucial ways. First, Barça 18 was Stephen Hanson's brainchild, to which he recruited Eric Ripert as a consultant. Ripert didn't own the place, and his post-launch involvement was never expected to be significant. Although he didn't cover himself in glory there, Barça 18 wasn't his project, in the sense that Bar Q was Anita's.

Second, what failed at Barça 18 was the execution; the basic idea (Spanish cuisine) was fine. Bar Q was a strange culinary mash-up of Anita's own devising, and it's not clear the idea would ever have flown, no matter what was done with it.

The restaurant’s best dish, however, is chicken under a brick: a sweet take on the classic preparation in which a half bird gets the squish treatment in a pan full of oil, its skin turning evenly brown and crunchy as its interior goes first pink and then juicy white.

Served as it is here, with Israeli couscous, some dried apricots and soft leeks, and a small bowl of garlicky gremolata, it stands as one of the better chicken dishes found within the confines of Manhattan, and a league leader of the 10012 ZIP.

It sounds delicious though.

The dining room is pretty enough, dark and cool, with white marble tables and a vaguely Mediterranean feel enhanced by big sprays of flowers. It is crowded nightly, first with dinner parties that seem pulled from rejected “Sex and the City” scripts and then with a late, late, late show of models and people with incredible collections of music and sneakers and phone numbers, accompanied by the people who went to college with them who now work on Wall Street.

But the food is inconsequential.

One night, two Alaskan Sour cocktails sat on a table untouched for 20 minutes. (And no wonder: they were an awful mixture of Hendrick’s gin, yellow Chartreuse and fresh lime juice.) The waiter failed to notice them even as he took the order for and delivered two glasses of wine for the people not drinking the vile concoction growing warm before them.

Kenmare is not a restaurant for tasting menus and hushed reverence for any kind of cuisine. It isn’t even really for dinner. It is a place to get fries and sliders, followed by a sugar rush, a place to drink vodka while waiting on a text. It’s like 11 p.m. You want to meet downstairs at Kenmare and do whatever?

Ouch.

http://events.nytimes.com/2010/07/07/dinin...ews/07rest.html