Nicky's Banh Mi vietnamese sandwiches

OH???????????????

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No problem, I expect a full report this afternoon! :P Fyi, they are not huge. I kicked my desk a couple times wishing a second was awaiting.

While we’re on that area (and nothing to do with Nicky’s or banh mi) there’s another non-descript buttered roll – chicken rice cart just a block north on Gouverneur btwn Water and Front (south side of Duane Reade) that does a fantastic curry white fish w/onions (prob tilapia) over basmati w side salad. Make sure you ask for a healthy topping of his dahl (lentils). One of the best $5 cart meals you’ll have down there. The chick platter is fine too (dahl is a must). I ate off that cart twice a week for 4 months last winter. Even tried to convince the vendor an all Indian cart would be a standout. He was apprehensive.

More thread drift, but on Eat's subject: I'm sorry to say I cannot recommend the $5 lunch truck that usually parks on Ann Street just east of Nassau. They do not use ANY salt, so while the food smells good (mostly Trini-ish curries), it lacks flavor. Large portions do not make up for the lack. :(

Maybe too far from you but there’s a wonderful little Ban Mi cart on Pearl and Hanover Sq. They do a good classic w/pate and ham w/the usual condes; daikon, cucumber, carrots, cilantro and hot sauce on a warm, crunchy decent qlty baguette. There are some 10 other variations including chicken, vegetarian, shrimp and eel. I became addicted to the eel.

Damn, where were they 10 years ago when I could have used them? That's right outside the building where I worked then!

Damn, where were they 10 years ago when I could have used them?

Probably in a Hanoi elementary school studying Ho’s rise. They seemed young from what I remember. :D

I don't know who moves posts around but I found a thread, "Food Carts in NYC" which may be more suited.

No do chua? That's the best part. :unsure:

Do you mean on the ones we compared? There was plenty of carrot, just no daikon. (I made up for it by cooking some of both for dinner last night -- but now I'm out of them.)

Yes, I meant on yours. How can there be Banh Mi without Do Chua? I make up a jar each month so we have it on hand.

I make up a jar each month so we have it on hand.

How do you make it? I go with equal parts white and rice vinegars, ½ part water, 3 to 2 sugar to salt and a sliced jalapeno (seeds removed). It comes out pretty good. Nice condiment for the bo-ssams we’ve made. This is making me want to host another soon.

The sardine sandwich at Nicky's is not bad, if you like sardines. If you don't, though, you'll hate it. The pork chop is okay, but a bit light on meat (and it had a small piece of bone :( ). And still no daikon, just lots of carrots and a smidge of cilantro.

I think I prefer Mangez Express.

I make up a jar each month so we have it on hand.

How do you make it? I go with equal parts white and rice vinegars, ½ part water, 3 to 2 sugar to salt and a sliced jalapeno (seeds removed). It comes out pretty good. Nice condiment for the bo-ssams we’ve made. This is making me want to host another soon.

I use Andrea Nguyen's recipe here: http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2009/05/daikon-and-carrot-pickle-recipe-do-chua.html

I've tried using a mandoline to slice the vegies to speed things up but found it made them too thin so I julienne by hand. It holds up for a few months in teh fridge. :)