M Wells Diner

Thread cross pollination.

From the Vandaag thread -

A lot of the food at the Momos was, and is, rather basic, which meant they could become a neighborhood hang-out for people who didn't want to be challenged, in addition to being destination places for those who considered them worth going out of the way for.

Although M Wells was 2 blocks from the Vernon Blvd dining strip my bet is that they weren't drawing their customers from there. I wonder if they could have succeeded at that location in the long term.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although M Wells was 2 blocks from the Vernon Blvd dining strip my bet is that they weren't drawing their customers from there. I wonder if they could have succeeded at that location in the long term.

I believe this exact concern is the reason why M. Wells opened so slowly and timidly. It was not immediately obvious that Montreal cuisine was going to be a big hit.

It was not immediately obvious that Montreal cuisine was going to be a big hit.

I think the jury is still out on whether there's a significant demand for it in the long term. For the sake of argument, lets say M Wells opens on the LES. Once the adventurous crowd has eaten there a couple of times who's left?

It was not immediately obvious that Montreal cuisine was going to be a big hit.

I think the jury is still out on whether there's a significant demand for it in the long term. For the sake of argument, lets say M Wells opens on the LES. Once the adventurous crowd has eaten there a couple of times who's left?

Obviously, the jury is out in the literal sense, but I don't see any particular reason to doubt it. Although the more adventurous items get a lot of press, there is also a lot of "normal stuff" on the menu.

What tends to happen is that once a place like this gets launched into orbit, it stays there for a long time. We'll never know how long it would've lasted, but it was certainly well past the flash-in-the-pan stage.

I believe this exact concern is the reason why M. Wells opened so slowly and timidly. It was not immediately obvious that Montreal cuisine was going to be a big hit.

I know the original opening was slow, but after a year it's surely perversity rather than timidity which sees a restaurant open 36 hours for brunch but for dinner only on three midweek evenings.

But on the other hand, it's very close to the Vernon Ave. dining strip (although you'd think it's like a whole different neighborhood).

That's a good point. Only 2 blocks away.

Vernon is more than 2 blocks away and even though Wilfrid was joking, it really could be in another state as far as the new LIC high rise dwellers are concerned. They will definitely not be going to M Wells, they're more comfortable eating in Manhattan or some of the 'safe' places on Vernon. It's more likely that some of the Greenpoint or Williamsburgers will be more apt to journey over to M Wells and become regulars.

But anyway all this is a red herring because as originally stated, they have brunch lines out the door. In terms of 'Montreal' food, I see it to be analogous to what The Breslin is serving.

I know the original opening was slow, but after a year it's surely perversity rather than timidity which sees a restaurant open 36 hours for brunch but for dinner only on three midweek evenings.

:rolleyes:

get over it

It really isn't more than two blocks away. I walked it (recently). You just walk down 49th Ave.

I agree with you that it's a different state as far as the highrise dwellers (or really anyone else) is concerned.

I think you're confusing Jackson Ave which is 2 blocks away. Vernon is more like 4-5 long blocks away.

Jackson is one block away, and then Vernon is the next block. (This is really far down -- close to where Jackson and Vernon meet.) (True, the intersection of Jackson and 49th, which involves 11th St. converging as well, is a little hairy [like those places in the UWS where Broadway crosses an avenue at a street intersection] -- but it doesn't add another block.)

Look at this map

The latest message from their mailing list:

[snip]

The good news is we will reopen somewhere nearby, sometime soon.

In the meantime, we are leaving on a HIGH note as we throw a series of mega farewell dinner parties each weekend. Tonight it’s “Our Trip to the Fulton Fish Market”. Another night it might be “TinTin et Le Temple du Soleil.” We are only taking reservations for these evenings; reservations for dinner and brunch for the rest of the month are closed.

Tonight, August 6th “Our Trip to the Fulton Fish Market”

As the birds started waking up early yesterday morning we packed canned beers, coolers and cooks into the back of a cargo van and headed to the Bronx to fetch our fish. It seems the saltiest fishmongers have the freshest stuff and we went wild filling up our vessel. Chef Hugue and the crew are creating a massive, magical feast and our wines and spirits will tie it all together.

One seating at 8 pm (we won’t kick you out)

$200 per person all inclusive (food, beverage, service)

Call (718-425-6917) or Write@MWellsDiner.com or stop in to reserve your seats. There are six more Fridays and Saturdays in August. We hope you will join us to celebrate and sign off on a fabulous year and to gear up for the one ahead.

Jackson is one block away, and then Vernon is the next block. (This is really far down -- close to where Jackson and Vernon meet.) (True, the intersection of Jackson and 49th, which involves 11th St. converging as well, is a little hairy [like those places in the UWS where Broadway crosses an avenue at a street intersection] -- but it doesn't add another block.)

Look at this map

I just want to say that I'm not harping on this to be argumentative.

It's that, like everybody, I thought of Wells Diner as being in the middle of nowhere.

So on one of the many nights when I went there thinking it was open, only to find it closed, I was shocked -- astonished -- to walk two blocks and find myself at Tuk Tuk's doorstep.

Look at this map

Oh crap you are right. I am chagrined.