Non-Chocolate Based Cake

It's a more home-y cake than what you are describing but I made an applesauce spice cake with penuche frosting this weekend that I thought was really good. And I don't usually like applesauce spice cake.

I'll think about ganache, but Mom's not a big chocolate person. Do you have a good butter cake recipe?

Is there a difference between "hard" ganache and soft? I.e., will the basic ganache recipe form icing, or just spill off the cake?

Depending on the proportion of cream to chocolate will be either more or less solid. It's pourable when warm, then firms up, or you can wait until it is fairly firm in the bowl and you can spread it with a spatula. If your mother doesn't like chocolate, forget it, though.

Almond cake is really nice. You can use lemon curd as the filling and buttercream -- the real thing, with the Italian meringue -- as frosting.

when you people say "cake filled with" you mean horizontally slicing a round/loaf cake and slathering on a layer of some kind of gunk in the middle and then jamming the cake back together, right?

I shudder to think what else you might think we mean.

when you people say "cake filled with" you mean horizontally slicing a round/loaf cake and slathering on a layer of some kind of gunk in the middle and then jamming the cake back together, right?

I shudder to think what else you might think we mean.

What's with the "you people"? I would think that you people know how offensive that is.

And can you send me a jammin' gulob jamun recipe?

Made a brown butter cake - I think Lebovitz. Tried a white chocolate ganache, but it turned out yellowish. Like melted wax. Made a chocolate ganache, but too chocolaty for me. Made a lemon buttercream. Just right. I may try to play with the chocolate ganache. Perhaps some swirls.