• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice Summer menu at St. Eve's. Gazpacho, poached king salmon, whipped parmesan potatoes, etc   Definitely worth a visit as the weather heats up again     http://www.stevesnj.com/dinner.htm

I've enjoyed every meal and experience each time I've gone there. An excellent restaurant -- with an excellent chef.

Nice mention of St Eve's treatment of soft shelled crabs in the Record. Along with Steve's recipe for soft shell crabs   The crabs are expected to be in wide availability in a few weeks as the Che

Nice "Starters" comment in the Bergen Record. Starters are meant to be general descriptions of newly opened places, and aren't "reviews" in any way. This one isn't signed, so it's hard to tell who wrote it and gauge their sensibility.

Still, with an endorsement from Chef Gatti, this is just icing on the cake, as far as I'm concerned.

Appetizers include pork belly Reuben, Maine lobster roll and cold oysters with a citrus scallop ceviche. Another option: tuna "tataki" with smoked soy-citrus salsa, Hawaiian black sea salt and pickled jicama.

A wood-fired grill is used to prepare many dishes, such as tuna served with mango pineapple salsa, and wild king salmon prepared with a citrus vinaigrette. For a more unusual choice, the regular dinner menu offers garlic-and-herb-larded leg of lamb, "rotisserie roasted" with ricotta gnocchi, broccoli rabe and jalapeno-mint jam.

"You taste the wood," says Christianson, whether it is applewood or hickory. Other entrees are lobster ravioli, barbecued Amish chicken breast, filet mignon and pork served with a summer chutney.

The menu is creative, including a house-made pasta of the day with lobster, shrimp, scallops, yellowfoot mushrooms and cognac lobster bisque.

St. Eve

• 4 weeks later...

One of the best meals I've had.

A delightful place. No further description. Just go.

Passed by the other night and the place was jam-packed.

The above is a massive endorsement for me. I've been trying to get some friends to go for a while now. Looking forward to it.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a note in the Bergen Record that a "French and Italian style" bakery will be opening in the same building as St. Eve's and the wine store.

Robert Broniszewski, who worked under well-known baker Jim Lahey at Sullivan Street Bakery and prominent pastry chef Biagio Settepani at Pasticceria Bruno, is planning to open a French and Italian bakery called Panificio Bolea in Ho-Ho-Kus in September. (His Facebook page will announce the exact date in a few weeks.)

more info on Bolea Bakery

ADMINISTRATIVE NOTE: It seems unfair to me to have the discussion of omission of prices from website menus in the thread dedicated to what otherwise seems to be an exemplary restaurant. Also, it's a general-interest (or uninterest) topic. So I'm moving that discussion from this thread to a separate thread on the General Food Discussion Board.

If any of the participants or readers objects, drop me a line.

I would agree this is an exemplary restaurant, based on my visit this past Saturday evening. Delightful place.

The interior is airy, with high ceilings in the main room, and slightly lower tray ceilings in the second room. Both have large windows on the west side, so the rooms fill with abundant sunlight in the early evening. There are sheers to filter the light. Wood trim, a small (BYO) bar seating six people, and a hint of the kitchen beyond. It's clear a lot of thought went into the layout.

The actual entrance is from the rear parking lot, which isn't intuitive. There are tables on the Franklin Turnpike side, and a door, but that's not the main entrance.

The restaurant has a disciplined seating policy, which assures that the kitchen won't be in the weeds. They seat about six or seven tables every half hour, and allow about 90-120 minutes for a turn. That worked well for us, and others finished much more quickly. Additional staff came on duty while we dined, which balanced the FOH and the work load. By 7.30, the house looked like it was filled, with some people on desserts, and others looking at menus or eating. It's a good policy, and meals seemed to be coming out at a consistent pace. More restaurants should adopt the policy.

Unfortunately, the restaurant persists in the obsolete policy of reciting specials. Without prices. In an era when printers cost under $50, it's plain silly not to print a list, with prices.

Dee had ravioli with goat cheese as an appetizer. Wonderful, with light and airy consistency, a little kick from the chevre. Nicely done. I had a fragrant plate of bucatini, loaded with onions, olives, peppers, guanciale, mushrooms in a wine sauce. Well done.

Dee had a jumbo Berkshire pork chop. Brined, and incredibly moist, but with a "burnt edge" typical of bbq. I'd love to know how this was done. Cooked exactly to medium rare, with a thin sear. Big piece of meat.

Hanger steak was great. Generous serving of meat, probably ten slices, again cooked exactly as requested at medium rare. Plated with a chow-chow which offered a sweet accent. The kitchen delivered with exceptional skill and consistency, for our table. Desserts included a flourless chocolate cake, which Dee said she enjoyed, and a home made root beer float, which I liked. St Eve's makes its own changing list of soft drinks from natural ingredients. This evening's selections included lemonade and root beer.

We drank a 1996 Chateau Mayne which the restaurant was happy to decant for us. Very enjoyable wine. I noticed several decanters at the ready, and a wide selection of glasses for BYO.

Spacing is tight along the banquette wall. We had conversations with people on both sides about what we had ordered, etc, and were unwilling auditors of their hip replacement, etc maladies.

I thought the service was attentive and unobtrusive. There were a few slips at other tables (missing flatware, entree delivered when a guest was in the men's room, etc) but they were manageable. As the room became busier, entrees were delivered before previous dishes had been removed, etc, but nothing of consequence. Water was topped off without asking, plates were removed when it appeared the diners had finished, and our server peeked regularly to see if anything needed removing, etc.

Dee felt our server was "playing to the man" although I disagreed. With Dee's back to the room, me facing out, and no room for the server to come between the tables, the server remained at Dee's shoulder. In general, except for one party where tables had been combined, it seemed the choice for taking orders at the banquette was to slide in and put the server's butt on the next table, or maintain the more dignified position at the guest's shoulder. Not a big issue.

Entrees are in the $25 to $35 range, apps are in the $10 to $20 range, and many items can be served as full or half portions. That's a very sensible practice, and offers many more choices and combinations. The few children in the restaurant were exemplary, and I noticed a few plates of macaroni and cheese or breasts of chicken go by.

I liked St. Eve's a lot. Excellent food, pleasant and engaging room, good service, fair prices. I'm sure they will continue with this successful venture.

• 3 weeks later...

I really think they need to reconsider the door issue. I want to walk in the front door, not round the back and past the two bathrooms before the hostess station. It starts the evening off wrong.

It is an odd layout, because the front of the restaurant facing the street really does feel like it should be the entrance.

I really think they need to reconsider the door issue. I want to walk in the front door, not round the back and past the two bathrooms before the hostess station. It starts the evening off wrong.

It is an odd layout, because the front of the restaurant facing the street really does feel like it should be the entrance.

I happened to go by St. Eve's on Thursday around lunch time, and the lot in front (the Franklin Turnpike side) was full. The lot in the back was mostly empty. I wonder if taking over several parking spaces for the dining area on the terrace forced them to use the back entrance? I did a tour on our local zoning board, and parking issues often drive local site plan approvals. Their neighbors have prior rights on the front lot spaces, at least as how zoning and planning boards consider the matter.

No question the back lot entrance is awkward. As I mentioned above, it's definitely not intuitive. If the owners were able to put in a front entrance, they'd probably give up at least two tables in the smaller room. Unfortunately, they wouldn't have the offset of putting tables in the back hallway.

Yeah it does look like the front. The 'no reservation' outdoor seating area is there. I guess you could enter the restaurant from there. You would have to park your car and walk around to that entrance which would maybe be more awkward. But the parking area is at the actual entrance to the restaurant, no? . I didn't notice the bathrooms until was leaving and had to use one. I parked my car, walked in the door and down the hall to the host station.

I happened to go by St. Eve's on Thursday around lunch time, and the lot in front (the Franklin Turnpike side) was full. The lot in the back was mostly empty. I wonder if taking over several parking spaces for the dining area on the terrace forced them to use the back entrance? I did a tour on our local zoning board, and parking issues often drive local site plan approvals. Their neighbors have prior rights on the front lot spaces, at least as how zoning and planning boards consider the matter.

No question the back lot entrance is awkward. As I mentioned above, it's definitely not intuitive. If the owners were able to put in a front entrance, they'd probably give up at least two tables in the smaller room. Unfortunately, they wouldn't have the offset of putting tables in the back hallway.

Okay. Now I'm properly confused. The resto is on No Maple Ave. What Franklin Tpke?

I drove south on No Maple Ave. Hang a left just before the resto and either park along the striped side lot or in the strip mall lot which is in the rear of the building. I never noticed a front parking lot. If there were spots along the west side of Maple Ave, then they were full.

I'm not much for naming protein provenance other than breed. It can be fraught with the implications you just named (never heard of Dines chicken anyway). Something like, oh say, "Strauss Family Farms Butter" being a kinda/sorta exception to that, but I know that Chef's Warehouse/Dairyland is big on that sort of thing right down their product line and there is a fair amount of product from that particular broadline vendor on Steve's menu. That's neither here nor there, just a possible explanation.