What's the best ginger beer for a Dark 'n Stormy?

Until last night, I had never had a Dark 'n Stormy. Been reading about it though. The idea of mixing rum with some spicy ginger beer strikes a chord in me. My research seemed to dictate using Gosling's Black Seal Rum. After all, they own the copyright to the Dark 'n Stormy name. Until last year, Gosling's recipe generally included Barritt's ginger beer. Now, Polar Beverages of Massachusetts is making Gosling's own brand of ginger beer and it is naturally part of their current recipe. I choose to view the brand of ginger beer as a variable in the recipe. Which ginger beer is best in a Dark 'n Stormy?

I didn't think that it was going to be particularly difficult to find ginger beer, but it was. Nothing in the local super markets. I went to the beer guy that stocks Duvel, Victory and Ommegang products. He had Stewart's ginger beer. A visit to a supermarket with a Hispanic bent yielded some Goya ginger beer. I called my brother and he had some Gosling's Diet on hand. So it was off to my brother's to test three versions of the highball with a bite.

I find that I really like the Dark 'n Stormy. It's dangerously drinkable and the spicy bite in the back of the throat suits me fine. The one with the Gosling's Diet ginger beer came in last. It had that "diet aftertaste." I hope I can find a brand with a diet version that tastes good. At second place, the Stewart's made a very good drink. The best was the one made with the Goya ginger beer. It was also the spiciest. Don't stick your face in the glass and inhale deeply. You'll probably cough or sneeze.

I am off to Fairway this afternoon. They are advertising Reed's Premium ginger beer, which Serious Eats recommends.

Until last night, I had never had a Dark 'n Stormy. Been reading about it though. The idea of mixing rum with some spicy ginger beer strikes a chord in me. My research seemed to dictate using Gosling's Black Seal Rum. After all, they own the copyright to the Dark 'n Stormy name. Until last year, Gosling's recipe generally included Barritt's ginger beer. Now, Polar Beverages of Massachusetts is making Gosling's own brand of ginger beer and it is naturally part of their current recipe. I choose to view the brand of ginger beer as a variable in the recipe. Which ginger beer is best in a Dark 'n Stormy?

I didn't think that it was going to be particularly difficult to find ginger beer, but it was. Nothing in the local super markets. I went to the beer guy that stocks Duvel, Victory and Ommegang products. He had Stewart's ginger beer. A visit to a supermarket with a Hispanic bent yielded some Goya ginger beer. I called my brother and he had some Gosling's Diet on hand. So it was off to my brother's to test three versions of the highball with a bite.

I find that I really like the Dark 'n Stormy. It's dangerously drinkable and the spicy bite in the back of the throat suits me fine. The one with the Gosling's Diet ginger beer came in last. It had that "diet aftertaste." I hope I can find a brand with a diet version that tastes good. At second place, the Stewart's made a very good drink. The best was the one made with the Goya ginger beer. It was also the spiciest. Don't stick your face in the glass and inhale deeply. You'll probably cough or sneeze.

I am off to Fairway this afternoon. They are advertising Reed's Premium ginger beer, which Serious Eats recommends.

I'm a big Dark 'n Stormy fan (or three).

You've made some good starts. I don't like the Reed's as they use pineapple juice for sweetener and that comes through too much.

Blenheim is nice as is Fentimans, but my favorite by a good amount is maine root - really spicy and gingery. The ginger really comes through in mixed drinks.

If you like a Dark 'n Stormy, be sure to try a Ginger Ante. I served them at my holiday party last year and they were a hit.

A very good question. I only had my first D&S a few years ago, made with Havana Club. I hadn't been a fan of rum drinks, but this was different. I have since had them made with watery ginger beer stuff, with over-produced "artisanal" cordials that tasted like an incinerated gingerbread house; and with Gosling's own super sweet canned ginger beer. I have to agree with Nathan. Reed's extra ginger is the driest, and therefore best in my opinion for a good Dark & Stormy. With Gosling's, of course, if one can't secure any Havana Club.

bigbear:

Add Fever Tree Ginger Ale to the list. My experience with their products gives it terrific promise.

A blend of three natural gingers. So delicious that whisky writers are saying ‘at last' here is a ginger ale they can recommend to partner great products.

TASTING NOTES:

•Colour - clear and golden

•Aroma - fresh ginger with citrus and aromatic hint

•Flavour - distinctive ginger flavour created from a blend of the world’s finest gingers. Added complexity from supportive citrus notes. Overwhelmingly cleaner than any other ginger ale creating a perfect mixer for brown spirits.

Fever Tree Website