Brooklyn Fare

They're not stupid at OT. A parasite that kills it's host won't be around for long. I firmly believe that it's their market to lose. As long as they provide a good level of service at a price that won't drive away large numbers of customers then they'll continue to be the market leader.

I've never used OT's search feature but I could see how I might if I was in a city that I didn't know and I didn't have recommendations from people I trust. It would give me some leads but I'd want to do additional research before making a booking.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyone been to this place? Brooklyn Fare in GQ

This point of view strikes me as incredibly old-fashioned. There's an assumption here that changing the method whereby you perform a task is a "reduction in functionality." Phone based reservations

Oh no!! When I eat at Rich's I always....

<snip>I still don't understand the concept of searching using OT. "darling, I'm in the mood for something in downtown manhattan today, in the $ range." "1000 points?" "and why not?"

That's pretty much what I do. Except that it's not that I'm "in the mood," rather I have tickets for a show in a neighborhood I'm not familiar with, or where I'm looking for a place I haven't been to. And I don't want to wait on line not knowing if I'll even get in. And I hate using the phone to call for a reservation, with the possibility of being stuck on hold or (just as bad) talking to a live idiot.

And since I don't have unlimited funds, it's nice to know that I'll eventually get something back, sooner (1000 points) rather than later. (We used to use Transmedia, but it was such a pain--if it even still exists--so I wouldn't even consider Groupon and stuff like that.)

Which is all to say that I appreciate the convenience of OT. You operate differently. You don't have to understand its appeal to me.

I save a list of favorites on opentable (it's a feature they offer), it's a relatively long list of places I like. When I search, I just search those - meaning "I'm in the mood to go out tonight, which of the restaurants that I know I like are available?"

I save a list of favorites on opentable (it's a feature they offer), it's a relatively long list of places I like. When I search, I just search those - meaning "I'm in the mood to go out tonight, which of the restaurants that I know I like are available?"

That's pretty much why I use OpenTable.

I hadn't even noticed that feature! Usually, I just enter a date and time, and a very long list comes back. I then scan for places I'm interested in. But that's getting harder and harder, as the service has grown to the point that over 1,000 restaurants could come up. Sometimes I do search for a specific restaurant or neighborhood. The search on price range is worthless, because the ranges are not reliable.

Thing is, though, that dining out is supposed to be a pleasant experience. If the endgame is having to make a successful challenge to a credit card penalty charge if you're unable to show, well . . . that isn't very pleasant.

Honestly, I think it's a case where a handful of jerks have ruined it for everyone. If people always (or practically always) showed up for their reservations, restaurants wouldn't need to do this.

I hadn't even noticed that feature! Usually, I just enter a date and time, and a very long list comes back. I then scan for places I'm interested in. But that's getting harder and harder, as the service has grown to the point that over 1,000 restaurants could come up. Sometimes I do search for a specific restaurant or neighborhood. The search on price range is worthless, because the ranges are not reliable.

After reading MF, CH, Eater, Menupages and some other sites, if I'm sure where I want to go to dinner, I then go to OT and see if its available. If so, it's the easiest way for me to make my reservation. If I'm not sure where I want to go, I do the exact same thing as you do. When out of town, this is easier, since very few cities have anywhere near as big a listing as NYC. Of course, whenever I'm intending to stay in Bklyn, OT becomes easier as well.... if the place is on OT.

Here's a question - Has the No Picture and No note taking always been in place?

No, and you can certainly find old blog posts with photos from BF's early days.

That's what I thought - I know I've seen a few funny iPhone pics around.

I am fairly liberal with my list, looking at it now I see a couple of places I've never been to (21 Club, Peasant) and a few I probably wouldn't go to anymore (Picholine, Annisa, Oceana), but including those my list is 44 restaurants right now. The hardest part of this (it's not hard) is remembering to add in new restaurants.

I used to have a favorites list saved on OT, but I stopped bothering with it. Time and location narrow the search enough, and I do use price range, not because it's especially accurate, but because as a general rule the $ places (which are numerous) are not going to interest me.

• 2 weeks later...