Headed out to Boulder next week. Any must hits? casual/lunch/fine dining...I'll take them all.

-Rob

Frasca - chef Lachlan Mackinnon-Patterson was a Food & Wine Best New Chef for 2005, and deservedly so.

I had a very nice dinner at Mateo last time I was in Boulder (this was about five years ago). The steak frites was particularly well executed.

Another vote for Frasca--it would be on the high end pricewise(everything in Boulder is casual). Radda's is a trattoria style italian place where we have had nice antipastos and pastas. It feels very authentically italian--the kind of place that just does what they do with no fuss, but does it well. The Kitchen is good--big focus on local and real ingredients (open for breakfast also). Pizzeria Basta is a very good wood oven pizza place. A few other menu items, which are also good, but the pizza's the thing.

Btw, Laudisio has been around for 20 years or so, it is ok italian, but nothing special imho. And I'm not all that fond of L'Atelier, although many disagree.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the recommendations.

We hit up:

Frasca: Great and really great service

The Kitchen: 2x once for lunch once for dinner...I like the place, and the food was ok, I just think I ordered the wrong dish's...

Salt: Great - although their 'pick your cocktail' thing was...dumb.

Ten Ten: Solid food

Southern Sun: I don't drink beer, and I'm not into Phish, but for some reason this place's atmosphere and food, I like.

Black Pepper Pho: Solid Pho

Solera in Denver: didn't love it.

• 6 months later...

Frasca.

If I remember correctly, they have a well priced wine list. But the food is tops, I'd eat there twice if I was in Boulder two nights.

Frasca is great -- and an amazing selection of Nebbiolo based wines -- from trophy Barolo (mostly too young) down to much lighter ones.

We had a lovely one from Lombardy. Thin and acid in a good way -- wonderful after a few days of big Californian wines.

As we left we made our next reservation.

Frasca.

If I remember correctly, they have a well priced wine list. But the food is tops, I'd eat there twice if I was in Boulder two nights.

Frasca is great -- and an amazing selection of Nebbiolo based wines -- from trophy Barolo (mostly too young) down to much lighter ones.

We had a lovely one from Lombardy. Thin and acid in a good way -- wonderful after a few days of big Californian wines.

As we left we made our next reservation.

So...this post was back in Dec....interestingly enough....we now LIVE HERE IN BOULDER!

So...I've been 'foodin' around the past few months, loving it.

Pizzeria Basta is one of our weekly favorites.

• 5 years later...

The Kitchen and its siblings are nice for what they are. Back story is that they are all owned and operated by Elon Musk's brother actually.

Prices in Colorado are gentle (Denver too)...except for oysters ($4-5 each for some reason). Not that you go to Colorado for oysters (except for the prairie variety).

License No. 1 may be my new favorite cocktail bar. It's located below the Hotel Boulderado....serious well-made classics in serious glass-ware, sprawling series of rooms (one with a dive-bar old arcade machine room), another with live music...etc. With the main bar room being your standard SCB. The crowd is a bit underdressed (ok, barely dressed) but then it is Boulder.