Traditional Yucatan Cooking Workshop

yes. the red marinade was for cochinta pibil and it was buried in a pit for cooking.

I've been told that that's what the "pibil" is - the cooking pit. So if you buried wieners in a pit and cooked them like that, they'd be "wieners pibil."

Is that right?

I've been told that that's what the "pibil" is - the cooking pit. So if you buried wieners in a pit and cooked them like that, they'd be "wieners pibil."

Oh, the image that brought forth . . . :lol:

Well, it's always fun to keep the galpals giggling.

:D

And it took Noma to teach everyone about leek ashes. You'd almost think Rene Redzepi was down in the Yucatan when he got the idea...

http://yucatantoday....-redzepi-nectar (between hanging out there and in nyc I really have no idea when he's at the restaurant)

The burnt chilis don't retain a lot of the original flavor, but they do some, and the food coloring effect is striking (I've been thinking about using it in pasta instead of squid ink, or in addition)

One thing that seems odd about Yucatan cuisine (at least restaurant cuisine) is that very little of the native tropical fruits and greens make it into the cooking. There are desserts and shakes, and you can get some Chaya in your scrambled eggs, but other than spices, it's all tomatoes, sour orange, onion, cilantro... not that I'm complaining about a meal of Ceviche, C. Pibil, R. Negro, Poc-chuc, Tikin-Xic, etc. (papadzules, posole and queso relleno I can do without) but it's still interesting.

Jaymes - you're absolutely right about the naming convention, but the traditional Yucatec way of serving wieners is to open the bag, cut them up and make them into a "salad" with 1000 island dressing.

Jaymes - you're absolutely right about the naming convention, but the traditional Yucatec way of serving wieners is to open the bag, cut them up and make them into a "salad" with 1000 island dressing.

I don't' usually use the work but the only way to describe this is YUMMY!