Excess egg whites

I've got 1 cup of egg whites left from Saturday's dinner. I'd attempt an angel food cake, except that 1)we don't usually eat dessert, and 2)all the recipes I've found so far call for at least 1 1/2 cups and not being much of a baker, I don't want to cut down a recipe that works and end up with a cellulose sponge. OTOH, I do have an 8-inch springform tube pan, so I could bake a smaller cake if I had a recipe.

So: does anyone have a recipe for a smallish angel food cake? Preferably either chocolate or mocha, or one in which I can substitute part cocoa for the flour (that I can comfortably do).

Or, even better: something savory other than egg white omelets or stracciatella? Has anyone every tried to make savory macarons?

I've got 1 cup of egg whites left from Saturday's dinner. I'd attempt an angel food cake, except that 1)we don't usually eat dessert, and 2)all the recipes I've found so far call for at least 1 1/2 cups and not being much of a baker, I don't want to cut down a recipe that works and end up with a cellulose sponge. OTOH, I do have an 8-inch springform tube pan, so I could bake a smaller cake if I had a recipe.

So: does anyone have a recipe for a smallish angel food cake? Preferably either chocolate or mocha, or one in which I can substitute part cocoa for the flour (that I can comfortably do).

Or, even better: something savory other than egg white omelets or stracciatella? Has anyone every tried to make savory macarons?

I had green olive macarons from La Bambouche in Toronto. Surprising good, but not especially savoury. Kerry Beal reverse-engineered a recipe for them somewhere on eG.

This is an angel food cake recipe from a Japanese blog. It's for a 17 or 18cm chiffon cake pan, so your tube pan may work. Hope you have a scale that can measure in grams! It's not chocolate, but you could probably put some in and take some flour out. I'll look for a chocolate one, too.

卵白:4個分

グラニュー糖:80g

薄力粉:60g

ベーキングパウダー:小さじ1弱

レモン汁:小さじ1/3

バニラオイル:少々

サラダ油:大さじ2

お湯(80度くらい):50cc

In English, it's

4 egg whites

80g sugar

60g cake flour (in Japan it's usually about 8% protein)

scant 1 tsp baking powder

1/3 tsp lemon juice

a little vanilla oil

2 tbsp oil

50cc hot water (about 80C)

This is a chocolate angel food cake recipe for a 20cm chiffon pan. I'm thinking the smaller recipe I posted above might work better depending on high your tube cake pan is--a 17cm chiffon cake pan would be about 8-10cm high, and a 20cm one would be 10-12cm high . If you make the other recipe, a similar recipe I saw said to sub 10g cocoa for 10g of the flour.

Chocolate Chiffon Cake

ココア:12g

熱湯:45cc

バニラエッセンス:少々

卵白:7個分(240g前後)

砂糖:50g

薄力粉:60g

砂糖40g

塩:少々

チョコチップ:30g

Or

12g cocoa

45cc warm water

a little vanilla essence

7 egg whites (about 240g)

50g sugar

60g cake flour

40 sugar

a little salt

30g chocolate chips

stracciatella

That took me by surprise - my definition is the chocolate flake gelato! But I have had the Italian soup as well.

I haven't made meringues in awhile, but that's not such a great thing if you don't eat dessert. Prefer mine with some nice dried cherries and chocolate chunks, or finely chopped nuts. Good for gifting.

Not to kill the planet or anything, but you could throw one cup of egg whites away.

(But Mongo is right - add them to alcohol.)

If they were supermarket eggs, I'd consider that. But these are fancy-schmancy Greenmarket eggs from chickens that lived a life of luxury. So the thought of tossing that much $$$ bothers me. :lol:

The other suggestions have been very helpful (except that I don't eat instant ramen). Thanks!

Not to kill the planet or anything, but you could throw one cup of egg whites away.

(But Mongo is right - add them to alcohol.)

If they were supermarket eggs, I'd consider that. But these are fancy-schmancy Greenmarket eggs from chickens that lived a life of luxury. So the thought of tossing that much $$ bothers me. :lol:

The other suggestions have been very helpful (except that I don't eat instant ramen). Thanks!

But I made my instant ramen with my own two hands! Well, mostly my mother's two hands with much help from the teacher's two hands. . .

OK, delete "instant ramen" and put in "egg drop soup". That works better!