Toronto, at the moment

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Before I begin this long post, I wanted to mention that Joe Beef in Montreal is serving a foie gras double down. It is two pieces of deep fried foie, bacon, maple syrup smoked cheddar, duck skin schm

I THOUGHT NOT!

Finally made it to Cocktail Bar - Toronto's first Serious Cocktail Bar - from the Black Hoof crew the other night. In general, good but somewhat disappointing. It shows how far this city has to go bef

Would it be too painful for me to tell you that they have my favourite bone marrow dish in the city?

yes it would be RAWRRR ~ oh well. when I'm on vacation I pull out all the stops and completely indulge myself so YES I was ready to have marrow 2 nights in a row! What's wrong with that?!

Thanks for the tip about the ravines, I'll pass it on to my Toronto friend ~ and thanks for all the other recommends!

I'm sure Hudson Kitchen's quite good, and I'm sure that I'll be there sooner rather than later, even if the menu's not exactly lighting my world on fire, but please, PR teams, please please please, stop using "sous vide" like it's 1) progressive or 2) appealing or 3) anything to brag about whatsoever.

Dishes draw on chef Hojilla’s French training and Filipino heritage, like sous-vide chicken adobo and a terrine version of sisig, a Filipino pork dish made from boiling and frying a pig’s head.

Wait! The copy on the website is the worst I've seen in a while. Some gems:

Reinventing food is our expertise. We set out to incorporate new tastes, textures, visual pleasure and interactivity with every season.

Hudson Kitchen brings a unique dining experience that takes you through the comforting streets of Europe, past the hustle and bustle of Madison Avenue and into the art studio of Jackson Pollock.

We strive to set new standards by redefining the familiar and introducing new experiences.

Take a ride with us. Your palate will thank you.

Fire your PR team guys, they're not doing you any favours.

I'm sure Hudson Kitchen's quite good, and I'm sure that I'll be there sooner rather than later, even if the menu's not exactly lighting my world on fire, but please, PR teams, please please please, stop using "sous vide" like it's 1) progressive or 2) appealing or 3) anything to brag about whatsoever.

Dishes draw on chef Hojilla’s French training and Filipino heritage, like sous-vide chicken adobo and a terrine version of sisig, a Filipino pork dish made from boiling and frying a pig’s head.

Wait! The copy on the website is the worst I've seen in a while. Some gems:

Reinventing food is our expertise. We set out to incorporate new tastes, textures, visual pleasure and interactivity with every season.

Hudson Kitchen brings a unique dining experience that takes you through the comforting streets of Europe, past the hustle and bustle of Madison Avenue and into the art studio of Jackson Pollock.

We strive to set new standards by redefining the familiar and introducing new experiences.

Take a ride with us. Your palate will thank you.

Fire your PR team guys, they're not doing you any favours.

Whoever is handling the PR for Hudson Kitchen should be at the top of everyone's list.

You're right. The copy is terrible, but the PR team did a fantastic job during TiFF.

ETA: what is interesting is that they're using King West style PR (think Meatpacking) for a restaurant that's operating on Dundas West (think Brooklyn/Old LES).

You're right. The copy is terrible, but the PR team did a fantastic job during TiFF.

ETA: what is interesting is that they're using King West style PR (think Meatpacking) for a restaurant that's operating on Dundas West (think Brooklyn/Old LES).

I haven't read any or the copy or media but whomever managed to pack a basically unopened restaurant with A-list celebs should get a raise.

Here and there:

Oddseoul isn't bad, though it's a pointless, Korean-hipster version of 416 Snack Bar that's more than double the price of Tofu Village. It's no better, despite the affectations.

Meanwhile, the octo and chorizo verde skewers are now on the full menu at Bar Isabel and are great. Even better is the play on vitello tonnato - smoked veal sweetbreads with cured albacore tuna. Oh, and corn ice cream, burnt husk and walnut crumble, spicy caramel is as good a late summer dessert as there is.

The ploughman's platter at Farmhouse remains a great late afternoon lunch on a weekend with various pickels, cheeses and cured meats. This week, rabbit rillettes, pork belly, pickled cauliflower, cured char, aged cheddar and a bunch of other stuff.

The Chase is as financial district as you can get, but better than expected. Octopus with piquillo peppers isn't doing anyone any favours, but scallops with a sweet pea puree, steamed peas, dry pork belly, crunchy grains and "sous vide" egg has some textural issues but is quite good.

The fried chicken at Bellwoods isn't Sean Brock and isn't $65 and goes well with a pint or two.

The Distillery District is a wasteland and the the Mill St Brewery Beer Hall is all kinds of upscale bro. It's not helping anyone with crummy charcuterie boards, truffle oiled flat-breads, sriracha mayo on burgers and upselling at every turn. Perigee was a no hoper in this location, but can't we do any better than this? El Catrin is too depressing to even contemplate.

Meanwhile, Christ Nuttall-Smith reminds me that it's been too long since I've been to Chantecler and that Bero may be a new opening worth going to.

And here it is:

http://toronto.eater.com/archives/2013/10/02/drum-roll-please-its-time.php#more

Daisho should be there over Noodle Bar, love it or not, Banh Mi Boys should be on the list, QMP isn't as "essential" as Libretto but I guess they have to go east, Queen Mother is a nice snipe (even if the food isn't very good), there's got to be room for Dumpling House or another Chinese restaurant in there, especially given the sheer quantity of poor Italian restaurants on the list, Sotto Sotto over Joso's is a laugh and no Edulis and, ugh, it's bad.

That's really poor work, eater. Really poor work.