Toronto, at the moment

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Before I begin this long post, I wanted to mention that Joe Beef in Montreal is serving a foie gras double down. It is two pieces of deep fried foie, bacon, maple syrup smoked cheddar, duck skin schm

I THOUGHT NOT!

Finally made it to Cocktail Bar - Toronto's first Serious Cocktail Bar - from the Black Hoof crew the other night. In general, good but somewhat disappointing. It shows how far this city has to go bef

"Embudito" is supposed to be "embutido"? Or is that a regional variation of the word? (I looked it up to make sure, and "embudito" is "funnel" while "embutido" is "sausage".)

i think you should go for breakfast and try the polvorone. I'm curious about it (in the Philippines, polvorone is a sort of cookie/candy made with toasted flour, butter, powdered milk, and sugar). If I make it to TO in the near future, I will go and eat my fill of boquerones, and perhaps fabadas asturiana.

• 3 months later...
Gardiner Museum Culinary Event hosted by FOOD DUDES
Chefs Adrian Niman and Matt Blondin of FOOD DUDES (founders and owners of restaurants Rasa and Caffe Doria) will host and cater the Gardiner Museum’s gastronomic event. Together they will create food-driven entertainment, with a fully foraged menu based on thriving local seasonal flavours paired with the Niagara region’s award-winning bio-dynamic winery, Southbrook Vineyards.
Culinary Package for two (2) includes:
Seven (7) chef’s tasting courses (per person)1
Six (6) wine pairings (per person)2
Admission for two (2) to the Gardiner Museum’s galleries day of event
Package Price for two (2): $250 plus applicable taxes

These kinds of things usually aren't my bag, but this one is happening while I will be in Toronto this summer. Worth it? Or no?

I think I'd rather take my 250 clams to the resto of my choice...

This just opened:

barraval11.jpg?ver=1424361327

This is the menu: http://thisisbarraval.com/menus/BR_MENU_DINNER.pdf

Yeah, it's great.

This might need to be on my list!!

Am thinking about Edulis again, and Bar Isabel. Are these two worth visiting again? Or should I hit up some new spots / places I've not yet experienced?

:-)

You're in Toronto, I'm in France. But drop me a line next time! Isabel is in transition, raval is dropping the mike. What brought you north?

Malarkey I'll get back to you later...

You're in Toronto, I'm in France. But drop me a line next time! Isabel is in transition, raval is dropping the mike. What brought you north?

I have tickets to the equestrian events at the Pan Am games :->

Should have dropped you a line. Likely won't be back anytime soon, but it was a fun few days.

Shoto messed up our reservation, so we ended up at Daisho instead. Maybe the meal of the trip. Definitely the surprise of the trip, since my expectations were pretty low. 50-day strip was great. (80-day ribeye sounded better, but their smallest portion was some ridiculous size.) Everything else tasty.

Bar Raval, as mentioned, great and lots of fun. Esp the house-cured seafood. And the tinned Spanish stuff. Good sherry list. Edulis was likable, even if the meal was up-and-down. Dandylion didn't do it for me. Bar Isabel was pretty good but definitely preferred Raval. Lai Wah Heen was fine. Buca Yorktown was a fun lunch. Bacon sandwiches at the market... esp the fatty one with skin-on served in a hotdog bun. 416 Bar was okay... fun scene. Bar Buca also fun and a lot of industry folks after midnight or so.

Why were you up? Was it omnivore last week or something?

Malarkey - dilley nailed it. Don't do the food dudes thing. Isabel is great but in a bit of a transition art period with some of the original team going to raval/moving on. Still you won't go wron with Isabel and edulis.

Raval is a must, however, though there's almost no seating if you don't get the patio. Buca yorkville and bar buca. Splendido if you want to do the white table cloth thing. Dandylion is good if you like that style, as is the new Peter Pan. Nota Bene serves the best version of the cumbrae 60 day dry aged ribeye. Dailo and hop goods are hot and miss but can really hit sometimes.

Why were you up? Was it omnivore last week or something?

I needed a destination close to NY to chill for a few days, and my traveling companion didn't feel like returning to Montreal (and wanted to go somewhere neither of us had been). So Toronto it was. Next time Montreal... haven't been in a few years.

• 10 months later...

Nothing here for almost a year? But Toronto was just behind df on the nyts list of places to go in 2016. Things are bad around here. So, by decree, political talk is welcome on this thread. We've got a charismatic new leader up here too.

But I won't make life for the new mods hard. Sneak, if you write up Mexico City I won't post about Justin, I may even post about food.