Toronto, at the moment

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Before I begin this long post, I wanted to mention that Joe Beef in Montreal is serving a foie gras double down. It is two pieces of deep fried foie, bacon, maple syrup smoked cheddar, duck skin schm

I THOUGHT NOT!

Finally made it to Cocktail Bar - Toronto's first Serious Cocktail Bar - from the Black Hoof crew the other night. In general, good but somewhat disappointing. It shows how far this city has to go bef

For Chinese in the city proper: Fried dumplings at Dumpling House, hand pulled noodles at Chinese Traditional Bun, Mother's Dumplings isn't bad, dim sum at Crown Princess, I guess Rol San. All on Spadina other than Crown Princess.

For Chinese in Markham (our third majority Chinese area, north of the City, with some of the best Cantonese anywhere outside of China), I only tend to go up there for higher end meals, but dim sum at Casa Victoria is a pretty good experience that would fit in the budget. Most of my meals north tend to be banquet style. It's a drive, but places like Fishman Lobster and O'Mei. Charles Yu's recommendations are good (https://torontolife.com/food/restaurants/chefs-in-the-burbs-charles-yu-chowhound-chinese-restaurants-richmond-hill-highway-7/).

Inside Toronto, if he doesn't drink, it's a pretty expansive list. At minimum, Bar Raval is still a must with excellent coffee and non-alcoholic drinks. Alo's casual sister restaurant, Aloette would work very well as well, but there can be a wait. If he can get a reservation, Skippa is excellent Japanese small plates and sushi in a charming area. Enoteca Sociale for trad Roman pastas, La Palma for a cal-Ital thing. Pizza at Mattachioni is far afield but is very good. If he's staying in the Financial District, Drake Minibar. If he's interested in Korean food, I like House of Soon Tofu.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You think a Thursday walk-in solo at Quetzal would work? Doesn't seem like they take solo rervations.

Anything not to miss that would be bookable for end of week?

Very likely you could get a walk-in for bar seating. If you can't, you should be able to get a walk-in for bar seating at Isabel or Banane (though Banane is less necessary if you're coming from Montreal) or either of Cafe Cancan or Piano Piano or just do Raval. Basically, there are good options if Quetzal doesn't work out.

If you can get a reservation for Edulis I would definitely do that, especially given the truffle options. Same thing with Alo. Skippa is excellent if there's space. 

My friends and I are now doing the dance to get into Edulis at the end of the month.

It’s a complicated dance.

Not an easy reservation, but an excellent table. Try for lunch.

Patrick, how were your meals?

• 4 weeks later...