AMC Dine-In Theater

http://www.amctheatres.com/dinein/cinemasuites/

take your 'critical foodie' hat off for a second. I'm not going to really deconstruct the burger I had and rant about it not being Lafrieda or the pasta my wife had wasn't authentic Italian...

Laurie and I went to the new AMC Dine-In Theater in Menlo Park Mall last night. First, it's 10$ each for the movie, then 15$ each for the seats, that goes for credit towards your food. There are 2 options, one is the 'suites' theater the other theater is called 'fork&knife' maybe? A little less comfortable, and is 18+ instead of 21+ I think...either way that 15$ goes towards your food. So...either you order nothing and it's 15$ or you order food, and they give you 15$ credit. (most people had trouble understanding this, for some reason)

I'm not going to write a full-on 2 page review, I'm just going to say a few things:

-Best thing ever invented

-Will not need to pirate a movie anymore due to not wanting to tolerate 12yr olds in a movie theater

-I walked my The Glenlivet 12yr scotch from the bar (yes, the bar) to the theater and sat down in my leather recliner.

-It's assigned seating, pre-made reservations, so no waiting in line, waiting to find a good seat, blah blah blah.

-Food was very acceptable, all things considered. WE GOT AN AMUSE BOUCHE. really. ha.(ok it was a little cup of caramel corn) AND they gave us Ghiredelli Chocolate Mints as we were leaving.

-They gave us heated CLOTH wet towels towards the end of the flick.

-PRICES were great, cheaper than say, Applebees. 4.99 beer. 21$ for a bucket of 5 beers. 6.99 unlimited popcorn. Average dish price, 9.99. Menu can be seen here: http://www.amctheatres.com/dinein/cinemasuites/

-Service was OUTSTANDING. Our server, Dre, was more attentive, nicer, and knowledgeable about all items on the menu (including drinks) than most wait staff at many restaurants in NJ. No joke or over-exaggerating here.

-Was the opposite of 'distracted' as I normally am in movies. I actually forgot I was in a theater with other people and went to scratch my nuts.

-Basically everything every 20-30something yr old person hates about movie theaters...they've fixed for you, and then added alcohol and decent food.

Here's how I'd play it. Buy tickets/reservations on-line the night before. See a 'fun' movie. Don't see Shindlers List. We saw the Green Hornet. It was...the movie equivalent of diner food. Go there early, get a drink at the bar. Take drink into theater. Order some apps, maybe a burger and fries, and a strawberry shake. Yeah they have salmon, and a few other dishes that may tempt you, but realize you ARE in a theater so expect about the same quality of food you'd get from a decent NJ Diner. No more no less. You know what I get when I go to diners? Burger, fries, and a strawberry shake. If you're feeling spunky a bucket of 5 beers. Kick back in the recliner, and watch a movie with your date. Order some popcorn about halfway through perhaps...maybe some dessert!

1157597100_wD3XC-M.jpg

Good advice. Treat it as "diner food" and don't push any serious boundaries. Bucket of beer could help me get through some recent movies, though.

The Essex Green Knife & Fork location has been open for a while, and comments are similar to yours. The "adults only" section is very attractive to a lot of people for just $5 over the kids section

Earlier Discussion

Well, I suppose it has a niche, but personally, I don't want to eat a meal while at a movie theater! Slip in a few candy bars from the CVS, (or even a popcorn bag) and watch the movie. I want to sit at a table and converse while eating, even if it is a less-serious meal... Just my personal taste.

I also found it interesting that they were able to get a liquor license...

Well, I suppose it has a niche, but personally, I don't want to eat a meal while at a movie theater! Slip in a few candy bars from the CVS, (or even a popcorn bag) and watch the movie. I want to sit at a table and converse while eating, even if it is a less-serious meal... Just my personal taste.

The Alamo Drafthouse Cinema started life in Austin in 1997 and has proven so successful that it has opened more across Texas and, I think, elsewhere also. In addition to a full menu, it has a complete bar and a huge selection of beers, as you might imagine.

When they first opened, they showed only second-run movies and a lot of "art films." But now they're showing first-runs along with everybody else.

It's been quite popular. I'll admit I was a skeptic at first. But now, I love it. One huge advantage, as RPM points out, is that most of the time, no one under 18 is admitted. Another is that if you're going out for dinner and a movie, you don't have that hour-and-a-half time delay, particularly handy on busy rushed weeknights when you want to get home at a reasonable hour. You can get right there and have it all at once.

Alamo Drafthouse

Well, I suppose it has a niche, but personally, I don't want to eat a meal while at a movie theater(snip)

I meant to check on this. I'm guessing they have a "club license" since they require advance registration and charge a fee, but I don't know that, for sure. If I have some time, I'll give the West Orange town clerk a call and find out if AMC purchased a full bore alcohol license. At about $400,000 - $500,000, I'd be surprised.

http://www.amctheatres.com/dinein/cinemasuites/

take your 'critical foodie' hat off for a second. I'm not going to really deconstruct the burger I had and rant about it not being Lafrieda or the pasta my wife had wasn't authentic Italian...

Laurie and I went to the new AMC Dine-In Theater in Menlo Park Mall last night. First, it's 10$ each for the movie, then 15$ each for the seats, that goes for credit towards your food. There are 2 options, one is the 'suites' theater the other theater is called 'fork&knife' maybe? A little less comfortable, and is 18+ instead of 21+ I think...either way that 15$ goes towards your food. So...either you order nothing and it's 15$ or you order food, and they give you 15$ credit. (most people had trouble understanding this, for some reason)

I'm not going to write a full-on 2 page review, I'm just going to say a few things:

-Best thing ever invented

-Will not need to pirate a movie anymore due to not wanting to tolerate 12yr olds in a movie theater

-I walked my The Glenlivet 12yr scotch from the bar (yes, the bar) to the theater and sat down in my leather recliner.

-It's assigned seating, pre-made reservations, so no waiting in line, waiting to find a good seat, blah blah blah.

-Food was very acceptable, all things considered. WE GOT AN AMUSE BOUCHE. really. ha.(ok it was a little cup of caramel corn) AND they gave us Ghiredelli Chocolate Mints as we were leaving.

-They gave us heated CLOTH wet towels towards the end of the flick.

-PRICES were great, cheaper than say, Applebees. 4.99 beer. 21$ for a bucket of 5 beers. 6.99 unlimited popcorn. Average dish price, 9.99. Menu can be seen here: http://www.amctheatres.com/dinein/cinemasuites/

-Service was OUTSTANDING. Our server, Dre, was more attentive, nicer, and knowledgeable about all items on the menu (including drinks) than most wait staff at many restaurants in NJ. No joke or over-exaggerating here.

-Was the opposite of 'distracted' as I normally am in movies. I actually forgot I was in a theater with other people and went to scratch my nuts.

-Basically everything every 20-30something yr old person hates about movie theaters...they've fixed for you, and then added alcohol and decent food.

Here's how I'd play it. Buy tickets/reservations on-line the night before. See a 'fun' movie. Don't see Shindlers List. We saw the Green Hornet. It was...the movie equivalent of diner food. Go there early, get a drink at the bar. Take drink into theater. Order some apps, maybe a burger and fries, and a strawberry shake. Yeah they have salmon, and a few other dishes that may tempt you, but realize you ARE in a theater so expect about the same quality of food you'd get from a decent NJ Diner. No more no less. You know what I get when I go to diners? Burger, fries, and a strawberry shake. If you're feeling spunky a bucket of 5 beers. Kick back in the recliner, and watch a movie with your date. Order some popcorn about halfway through perhaps...maybe some dessert!

1157597100_wD3XC-M.jpg

I am liking this more and more. I've made plans and I am going. So, is there another location in Bridgewater?

Thanks again for the heads up and the excellent review.

I meant to check on this. I'm guessing they have a "club license" since they require advance registration and charge a fee, but I don't know that, for sure. If I have some time, I'll give the West Orange town clerk a call and find out if AMC purchased a full bore alcohol license. At about $400,000 - $500,000, I'd be surprised.

And someone else in town would have to give up their license... Apparently this "club license" is a way to skirt the licensing laws?

And someone else in town would have to give up their license... Apparently this "club license" is a way to skirt the licensing laws?

whatever the case is, it keeps the kids out, and makes for a pretty relaxing movie experience! I'm not complaining.

Well, I suppose it has a niche, but personally, I don't want to eat a meal while at a movie theater(snip)

So, any idea how much would the club license be? Thanks in advance.

Well, I suppose it has a niche, but personally, I don't want to eat a meal while at a movie theater!

It's not really like going out to eat a meal, where the meal is the reason to be there.

It's more like if you're hungry, and there's a movie you've been wanting to see, and you fix yourself a sandwich or a slice of pizza or bowl of soup or something in the kitchen and then you open a brewski or pour a glass of wine and then you take your plate and your glass and you go in and sit down in front of the TV and watch it.

Well, I suppose it has a niche, but personally, I don't want to eat a meal while at a movie theater!

It's not really like going out to eat a meal, where the meal is the reason to be there.

It's more like if you're hungry, and there's a movie you've been wanting to see, and you fix yourself a plate in the kitchen and then you go in and sit down in front of the TV.

I suppose, but for me that would then remove my dining opportunity before or after the movie... I'm already out, so for me a restaurant is in order.

Just my taste, I've heard that these type-places are wildly popular all over the country, and will probably be springing up all over in the near future.