NY as a sports town

The question is whether they tend to be on the food boards.

No, I'm saying that pretty much only in NYC can you actually spend your life being completely unexposed to American football (or any other sport for that matter). Sport is an American (and not just an American) religion...and that applies to foodies and other geeks too. NYC really is unique in its aversion to sport (except for running).

yes, NY is a renowned bastion of sports-free living. Its not like we don't have 9 major pro-teams or anything like that.

(granted one thing NYC doesn't give a fuck about relative to the rest of the country is HS sports, but still)

I knew someone would say that. Except that per capita the metropolitan NY area is seriously underserved by sports teams (compare New Orleans or Memphis or Tampa). And more to the point, the vast majority of those fans aren't in Manhattan or gentrified Brooklyn . I've see some proprietary marketing research confirming that too. You also conveniently omitted college sports (which are more followed than pro sports)....a giant distinction. Those Fordham and NYU boosters are rabid man.

That's a false analogy - New Orleans, Memphis and Tampa's teams that don't have revenue sharing are on the verge of collapse/moving away. Tampa ha about 2.7 mil people in its MSA and the Rays still can't sell out games. The under representation on a per capita basis is a product of history and league rules, not of demand - as you might know if you ever tried to get Giants tickets (25 year+ waiting list) Yankee tickets - nearly all sold out on a season ticket basis. When the Knicks are decent there is no harder ticket in town then the playoffs. Compare that to supposedly sports mad cities in the hinterland that can't sell out playoff games for baseball.

Yes - college football is not big here for the locals - that's a function of history - but college basketball is huge. Getting Big East Championship tickets is a fucking nightmare. If Lavin get SJU relevant again then they will sell out the Garden regularly. WRT to there being no dominant local college team - you could make the same argument about Chicago - its a big cosmopolitan city with lots of people who went to lots of different schools - so yes there isn't one team everyone supports - but if you walk into any sports bar in town on a Saturday its packed with people watching college football.

Also you might not be aware of this - but the reason why NYU and CCNY are not basketball powers has to do with a point shaving scandal in the 40's. They were huge draws back then, but got shut down as programs and all of the talent went elsewhere (mostly UNC actually)

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Forbes the Yankees are the third most valuable behind Man-U and the Cowboys. Regardless the Yankees' value comes from national tv rights. As for parades, that's like saying that the NYE ball drop must be where NYers spend NYE cause there are millions of people. Finally, you too ignored college sports. Which proves my point more than anythng else.

Do you know how hard it is to find a bar with Sunday Ticket in this town? (outside of the Long Island bars in midtown).

this is so wrong. I live in the west village - places with Sunday ticket in my nabe - like a walk of under 3 minutes:

Wogies

Riviera

What every the douche-y replacement for Charles is

Galway Hooker

If places don't have sunday ticket its because the have a bad shot at a satellite - which is a problem in NY.

Also to twist what Mitchells said - since we have two teams the majority of the weekends during the football season there is local team playing during both windows - so Sunday Ticket isn't as valuable to a bar as it would be elsewhere.

Do you know how hard it is to find a bar with Sunday Ticket in this town? (outside of the Long Island bars in midtown).

Because people in NY want to watch the NY teams. Sunday ticket is more important in cities that DON'T have an NFL team.

And there is no reason to have Sunday Ticket in NY unless the bar has several TV's. Otherwise the Jets or Giants will be shown.

Go to the ESPN Zone.

Dude, you're clearly not familiar with the national rite of fantasy football which requires Sunday Ticket. What's becoming clear on this thread is that there are so few sports fans here that you don't know what you don't know. (for example you are so wrong on the prevalence of Sunday Ticket -- very very wrong in fact.

Also, since most NY residents aren't from NY your point wouldn't be valid anyway.

According to Forbes the Yankees are the third most valuable behind Man-U and the Cowboys. Regardless the Yankees' value comes from national tv rights. As for parades, that's like saying that the NYE ball drop must be where NYers spend NYE cause there are millions of people. Finally, you too ignored college sports. Which proves my point more than anythng else.

I didn't ignore college sports. The reason why NYers don't really care about college football is because there are no local teams. Rutgers was underinvested in by the state for decades (NJ talent has been a big part of Big Ten teams - especially Penn State and in the last decade Wisconsin), and SUNY was set up without a flagship campus, so no flagship sports teams.

Value of teams isn't germane to the discussion I agree.

Because people in NY want to watch the NY teams. Sunday ticket is more important in cities that DON'T have an NFL team.

And there is no reason to have Sunday Ticket in NY unless the bar has several TV's. Otherwise the Jets or Giants will be shown.

Go to the ESPN Zone.

Dude, you're clearly not familiar with the national rite of fantasy football which requires Sunday Ticket. What's becoming clear on this thread is that there are so few sports fans here that you don't know what you don't know. (for example you are so wrong on the prevalence of Sunday Ticket -- very very wrong in fact.

Also, since most NY residents aren't from NY your point wouldn't be valid anyway.

I play fantasy - I've never once had a problem watching the games I wanted to see.

Not true. YES is NOT a true national tv station like WTBS. It is broadcast locally and on the MLB package. Which doesn't have a lot of subscribers.

this is so wrong. I live in the west village - places with Sunday ticket in my nabe - like a walk of under 3 minutes:

Wogies

Riviera

Galway Hooker

If places don't have sunday ticket its because the have a bad shot at a satellite - which is a problem in NY.

Also to twist what Mitchells said - since we have two teams the majority of the weekends during the football season there is local team playing during both windows - so Sunday Ticket isn't as valuable to a bar as it would be elsewhere.

Funny. Compare the with Dallas or Chicago. Oh wait, I forgot those places don't have NFL teams.

Look, the difference is that in other cities 50-90% of all bars are sports bars and by definition carry Sunday Ticket.

Is it really contestable that NYC is utterly unique in most of its bars not being sports bars????

Now, I wonder, why is that????

MAYBE IT'S BECAUSE NYERS AREN'T SPORTS FANS IN ANYWHERE NEAR THE SAME NUMBER!!!!

I can't believe you're arguing this. It's like contesting that the moon is made of swiss cheese.

I thought the point is that New York is so much bigger than everywhere else that it could have a significant sports market and still be full of people who aren't sports fans.

I mean, isn't that the reason all those non-residents keep moving here? That this is one of the few places in North America that caters to pretty much every interest, instead of a few majority ones?

Not true. YES is NOT a true national tv station like WTBS. It is broadcast locally and on the MLB package. Which doesn't have a lot of subscribers.

Dude just quit. Their national tv revenues don't come from YES.

Btw, in a metropolitan area this size the yankees can't even manage to sell out every game?????

Oh, your your definition of a true sports fan is someone who plays fantasy football and likes college sports.

I've been going to Giant and Ranger games for 25 years and untold number of Yankee games but I'm not a sports fan because I don't give a shit if a place doesn't have Sunday Ticket?

Dude just quit. Their national tv revenues don't come from YES.

Btw, in a metropolitan area this size the yankees can't even manage to sell out every game?????

So tell me where their national TV revenue comes from?

Wogies

Riviera

Galway Hooker

Funny. Compare the with Dallas or Chicago. Oh wait, I forgot those places don't have NFL teams.

Look, the difference is that in other cities 50-90% of all bars are sports bars and by definition carry Sunday Ticket.

Is it really contestable that NYC is utterly unique in most of its bars not being sports bars????

Now, I wonder, why is that????

MAYBE IT'S BECAUSE NYERS AREN'T SPORTS FANS IN ANYWHERE NEAR THE SAME NUMBER!!!!

I can't believe you're arguing this. It's like contesting that the moon is made of swiss cheese.

I think you overstate the number of bars in NY that aren't sports bars.

AND YOU ENTIRELY MISSED MY POINT ABOUT NY VS OTHER TOWNS. WE HAVE TWO TEAMS THEY DON'T- YOU HAVE BIG CROWDS WANTING TO WATCH ONE GAME IN BOTH WINDOWS.

Also nice use of Long Island as pejorative.