NY as a sports town

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a MSA of what, 20MM? Last year the Yankees filled 87% of their seats. The Twins filled 100%. The phillies 103%

Of course we're cherrypicking by talking about baseball. If we talked about the more popular sports of college football or even the NFL (every single NFL team made the Forbes list of the 50 most valuable sports teams, only 5 baseball teams did).

And here I originally thought better of just responding that I don't follow football.

Nathan . . . your eyes are brown.

Why do I not follow football?

It's not because I am a native New Yorker (I used to go to high school football games). It's not because I live in New York (I never went to the Lions or Redskins, either). And it's not because I'm female.

I don't follow football because I find it boring to watch a bunch of misshapen people crash into each other in an attempt to inflict bodily harm. Because I do not believe in war substitutes* any more than I believe in war as a way to solve problems.

*Well, maybe chess. But that's inflicting only psychic harm, not physical.

Dude just quit. Their national tv revenues don't come from YES.

Btw, in a metropolitan area this size the yankees can't even manage to sell out every game?????

on YES, true, but YES is a much much bigger contributor to the value of the yankees then the revenues from being on TV all the time. like not even close.

(Also the Yankees led the league in attendence, Yankess + Mets attendence = 6.4 mil about the same as LA, Chicago was only 5 mil combined between the two teams. but even better - the yankees sold a greater % of the seats then either the dodgers or angels.

the only teams that sold a greater % of their tickets = Cubs, Red Sox (bandboxes), Philly (another town you could make the exact same arguments about NY for BTW), and Twins (new stadium)

If you look at '09 before Mets fans had given hope NY was more like 6.7.

In every Texas town they have five major football teams to watch. The Cowboys, the Texans, Texas, Tech, A&M. But most of the bars still have Sunday Ticket BECAUSE OF FANTASY FOOTBALL.

I'm at a posting disadvantage here cause I'm on my phone

In a MSA of what, 20MM? Last year the Yankees filled 87% of their seats. The Twins filled 100%. The phillies 103%

Of course we're cherrypicking by talking about baseball. If we talked about the more popular sports of college football or even the NFL (every single NFL team made the Forbes list of the 50 most valuable sports teams, only 5 baseball teams did).

Football - virtually every team in the league sells out 95%+

Twins filled 100% because it was a new stadium. Phils - well its a one team town that has a championship team - go back five year and the phillies were only selling out 75% of their seats, ten years ago it was 40%

The mets have crushed the souls of their fans and still do 70%

" you could make the same argument about Chicago - its a big cosmopolitan city with lots of people who went to lots of different schools - so yes there isn't one team everyone supports - but if you walk into any sports bar in town on a Saturday its packed with people watching college football."

Correct. Funny, that doesn't describe NY. I rest. .

In every Texas town they have five major football teams to watch. The Cowboys, the Texans, Texas, Tech, A&M. But most of the bars still have Sunday Ticket BECAUSE OF FANTASY FOOTBALL.

I'm at a posting disadvantage here cause I'm on my phone

The distance between Houston and Dallas is further then NY and Philly. Different markets

" you could make the same argument about Chicago - its a big cosmopolitan city with lots of people who went to lots of different schools - so yes there isn't one team everyone supports - but if you walk into any sports bar in town on a Saturday its packed with people watching college football."

Correct. Funny, that doesn't describe NY. I rest. .

If you just want to divorce yourself from reality then I can't argue with you. I'm exceedingly confident I've spent a lot more time on the former frat boy drinking circuit then you have. I have friends who own mediocre sports bars from the battery to the GWB. Yes it does describe NY.

If most New York residents aren't from New York, doesn't that kill your point?

(Unless the ones who come here self-select as non-sports fans.)

Correct on the latter. Which is why NY is different from Chicago as Bonner so helpfully noted. No major college teams there either but it's full of college football fans.

As for BIg East attendance, it's not hard to fill a basketball arena and serious fans follow their teams to the tournament anyway. The Yankees don't even sell out every game and I found it very easy to get Giants playoffs tickets.

If most New York residents aren't from New York, doesn't that kill your point?

(Unless the ones who come here self-select as non-sports fans.)

Correct on the latter. Which is why NY is different from Chicago as Bonner so helpfully noted. No major college teams there either but it's full of college football fans.

As for BIg East attendance, it's not hard to fill a basketball arena and serious fans follow their teams to the tournament anyway. The Yankees don't even sell out every game and I found it very easy to get Giants playoffs tickets.

what did you pay over face?

Cuse is the biggest draw at the garden for the BET - nearly their entire fan base is jewish kids from the suburbs.

1. Suzanne kindly made my case. (there are simply a lot more people in NY who are able to stay away from football..or want to)

2. The Yankees have the largest stadium and thus (barely) sold the most tickets but still couldnt sell out.

3. The contention that cities without NFL teams have more Sunday Ticket is completely wrong. Fantasy football has been responsible for an exponential growth in Sunday Ticket. You need to travel more. Seriously.

4. That all NFL teams are extremely valuable (compared to other sports) has nothing to do with their attendance (for a mere 16 games), rather it's because the NFL shares tv revenue equally across all teams and the tv revenue for football far eclipses baseball.

5. It's absurd to say that the percentage of bars in NY that are sports bars is anywhere near the percentage in other cities. ABSURD. NY isn't filled with BW3's, Applebees and the zillions of local equivalents. Most manhattan bars (outside of midtown and Murray hill) don't even have tvs. In most cities even the wine bars are showing sports.

6. Finally, NY is full of furriners who don't even watch American sports.

(this and 1. go to the self selection point).