Nathan

NY as a sports town

Of course, one readily concedes Ron's point that many other cities do have small, beleaguered populations of single women and gay people who maintain an interest in water colors and theater societies while dreaming of moving to New York to get away from the sports talk.

:take cover:

No need to take cover. Your insult is noted, and is one of many in a consistent theme of portraying those outside of the cultural mecca of NYC as a bunch of braying morons. Frankly, I am fucking sick of it.

Of course, one readily concedes Ron's point that many other cities do have small, beleaguered populations of single women and gay people who maintain an interest in water colors and theater societies while dreaming of moving to New York to get away from the sports talk.

No need to take cover. Your insult is noted, and is one of many in a consistent theme of portraying those outside of the cultural mecca of NYC as a bunch of braying morons. Frankly, I am fucking sick of it.

wait - I thought wilf was being sarcastic? Isn't the gay people and single woman the tip off? Or is Ron being sarcastic as well?

wait - I thought wilf was being sarcastic? Isn't the gay people and single woman the tip off? Or is Ron being sarcastic as well?

I'd like to help but my sarcas-o-meter is not functioning currently.

in seriousness, Fort Worth includes art along with cattle and the Cowboys as its primary forms of culture (FW has also become my favorite city in TX).

Dallas on the other hand....

in seriousness, Fort Worth includes art along with cattle and the Cowboys as its primary forms of culture (FW has also become my favorite city in TX).

that's three (3) forms of primary culture. i thought you said that isn't possible.

well I can see the IQ level has really dropped here.

you can't have a bunch of "primary" anythings. then they wouldn't be "primary"....use English much?

that's why in NY there are no primary cultures...just an almost infinite number of "secondary" ones.

I've said this over and over again...(as has Wilfrid)....but you're clearly just going to keep reading what you want to read instead...much easier to argue with a strawman.

considering I'm saying the same thing on page 8 of this thread that I said on page 2 I fail to see the "backpedaling"

that's three (3) forms of primary culture. i thought you said that isn't possible.

you can't have a bunch of "primary" anythings. then they wouldn't be "primary"....use English much?

that's why in NY there are no primary cultures...just an almost infinite number of "secondary" ones.

I've said this over and over again...(as has Wilfrid)....but you're clearly just going to keep reading what you want to read instead...much easier to argue with a strawman.

considering I'm saying the same thing on page 8 of this thread that I said on page 2 I fail to see the "backpedaling"

yes, I said most cities have several strands (up the thread).

I wonder which language you're using because in English "bunch" does not equal "three"....

I wonder which language you're using because in English "bunch" does not equal "three"....

i've never seen anyone who could back pedal faster than you can

i've never seen anyone who could back pedal faster than you can

Does backpedalling count as a sport?

This is confusing for sure. I grew up in and near Fort Worth, living there and in Arlington. Ft. Worth had stockyards and the Ft. Worth Cats (Cubs farm team). It also had some oil money. Yes, the Kimballs have built a nice museum in Ft. Worth.

Dallas had banking and fashion and oil money. It had the Dallas Eagles (another farm team). It also had (has) the State Fair of Texas. Dallas also has several musuems.

Arlington eventually snared the Texas Rangers and the Dallas Cowboys.

Most of the cowboys Ft. Worth had were really not from there but came to town for 2 weeks each winter for the Fort Worth Exposition and Fat Stock Show (aka the rodeo).

I was neither being sarcastic nor directing a solemn and deadly insult at anyone. I'm a nuance guy. If anybody wants to take my post literally, there is not much I can do about it but sigh.

The reason the rest of the world think the English are (a) well-mannered and (b) funny is that no one has the faintest idea when they're being serious.

The reason the rest of the world think the English are (a) well-mannered and (b) funny is that no one has the faintest idea when they're being serious.

You appear to be a nuance guy as well. Are you English?

Yes, this could easily be serious:

"beleaguered populations of single women and gay people who maintain an interest in water colors and theater societies"

And this should surely have removed any doubt:

"No, they can't support that. They have ballet meet-up groups which take over one bar for two hours once a month."