NY as a sports town

Ps: I don't play fantasy football and Im not a college fan. However, if you're seriously into the NFL you need to keep an eye on college football cause that's where your players, coaches and strategies come from. Baseball was my first love and I'm a serious Vikings fan so I'm always looking for Sunday Ticket. It was much more difficult to find it in NOLITA or the WV than in Chicago or Dallas or Miami.

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We went to two bars in Philly last weekend and neither was showing sports. o_O

Wish I weren't on my phone.

That's nice. Shall we really count up the 5% of Philly bars outside Rittenhouse Square area that don't show sports?

5. It's absurd to say that the percentage of bars in NY that are sports bars is anywhere near the percentage in other cities. ABSURD. NY isn't filled with BW3's, Applebees and the zillions of local equivalents. Most manhattan bars (outside of midtown and Murray hill) don't even have tvs. In most cities even the wine bars are showing sports.

For reference, in Boston you can probably count the number of bars without multiple high-def tvs that play ESPN and NESN on loop and Sunday Ticket on Sundays on one hand. Even a decent restaurant like Neptune Oyster has a tv playing sports at all times. It's absurdly difficult to find a bar that doesn't have multiple tvs with sports. It's great if you want to watch a game because you can usually find a place with a seat. It actually makes for a rather miserable bar scene every day that isn't Sunday when you feel like watching football. New York is exactly the opposite.

Also, although New York isn't a sports down, I'm hard pressed to say that it's not a baseball town.

I was at a bar this weekend and I sat with my back to the large screen tv..It was really annoying having the game on because i just wanted to relax.. It got super annoying when I kept coming out of my thoughts.. I was wondering what the hell was annoying me.. i finally focused on the noise when i realized that there was guy with a tick sitting right behind me making this puckering sound with this lips.. It was totally an uncontrollable thing he had..

But, back to the game.. I looked at the screen and made out the C for the Bears and then noticed it was a green team.. I am completely blind mind you, so I didnt know if the Jets or the Eagles, or Seahawks were playing... I still don't know who it was, it just wasnt the Jets... But, that two seconds of trying to make out the teams was the longest amount of football I have watched since i caught a glimpse of the super bowl while walking passed the tv.. the last time before that was watching some football team with Stone at 4am in Italy.. It's funny every now and then when i hear about Teams being mentioned and I don't even know the city they represent..

Oh I agree that NY is a baseball town if it's anything. But "bar" does not automatically = sports bar the way it does in every other city.

With that said I recall a conversation I had a couple years ago: "oh I'm a Yankees fan, I even went to five games this year." me (surprised) "really, can you name any players?". Silence.

But then baseball is an unusual sport in that the true test of a fan might be whether you watch it on tv or only watch it live.

Oh I agree that NY is a baseball town if it's anything. But "bar" does not automatically = sports bar the way it does in every other city.

With that said I recall a conversation I had a couple years ago: "oh I'm a Yankees fan, I even went to five games this year." me (surprised) "really, can you name any players?". Silence.

But then baseball is an unusual sport in that the true test of a fan might be whether you watch it on tv or only watch it live.

Fully agreed on the first point. As I was saying, I can think of exactly one bar in Boston without a TV.

I would guess that the true test of being a baseball fan in NYC is whether you listen to it on the radio.

yeh, never been to a Yankee game or baseball game.. Though, i have seen Pink Floyd at Yankee Stadium

Thanks to Orik for taking one for the team. If he hadn't, I'd have never learned about the intricacies of sports in NYC, much less the pro-tip to stay away from this place. :P

laugh.gif

That's MF for you - you think you're going to read about pasta, but end up learning all about sport spectatorship.

I didn't ignore college sports. The reason why NYers don't really care about college football is because there are no local teams.

Columbia?

Not teams that anyone cares about. Nearest football team with a following is West Point.

But the quoted line was ass backwards and shows an ignorance of college football. People don't cheer for local comets teams they cheer for their alma mater. Clearly many/most NY'ers are self-selected non-fans.

1. Suzanne kindly made my case. (there are simply a lot more people in NY who are able to stay away from football..or want to)

2. The Yankees have the largest stadium and thus (barely) sold the most tickets but still couldnt sell out.

3. The contention that cities without NFL teams have more Sunday Ticket is completely wrong. Fantasy football has been responsible for an exponential growth in Sunday Ticket. You need to travel more. Seriously.

4. That all NFL teams are extremely valuable (compared to other sports) has nothing to do with their attendance (for a mere 16 games), rather it's because the NFL shares tv revenue equally across all teams and the tv revenue for football far eclipses baseball.

5. It's absurd to say that the percentage of bars in NY that are sports bars is anywhere near the percentage in other cities. ABSURD. NY isn't filled with BW3's, Applebees and the zillions of local equivalents. Most manhattan bars (outside of midtown and Murray hill) don't even have tvs. In most cities even the wine bars are showing sports.

6. Finally, NY is full of furriners who don't even watch American sports.

(this and 1. go to the self selection point).

no one was contesting 4. 5) I think you have massive sample bias - above 23rd street (ex hotels) all the bars are essentially sports bars. Is it 99% of bars like other cities? no - its probably 80%. Outside of manhattan and manhattanized brooklyn it probably rapidly approaches 100%. The suburbs count as NY - you can't ignore that. Saying most manhattan bars don't have TVs is patently false.

1)I also think you understate the number of people who know nothing about football in other towns.

2) gotta take cost into account in that analysis - need TV ratings to really make an assertion with respect to that.

I'm not gonna argue 3 with you again. Your initial assertion was that you can't find sunday ticket in NY - and that's just patently false. No one ever asserted sunday ticket is more prevalent in towns with no nfl teams. re read what people said. We said its less prevalent in NY because of we have two teams.

6.Eh - lots of furriners in the other big MSA's - Chicago is 15%, NY is 22%, LA and SF 25%+. (2000 census data) No Idea what real america looks like (Houston) saw a non-government source that said 20% - Miami is the highest of all of course.