Espresso

It's like someone should go to potential investors in coffee shops and offer them the playbook* together with Andrei Shleifer style proofs of its inevitability.

A cupcake place (a huge one) also replaced Chibi's Sake Bar and the weird restaurant attached to it. Go figure.

* although this is a sports term I feel its safe for nyc audiences as it also exists in theatrical settings.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a coffee person usually, but I had a pleasant cup at the new Bourbon Coffee on 14th Street between 5th & 6th. The coffee is all from Rwanda, and this store is only the 2nd in the US (there's one in DC). More information can be found here. The regular drip is smooth and mild, and not too dark. I'll have to have N go back and try their espresso.

The branch of Zibetto on Fulton Street appears to have closed. Whether permanently or temporarily is not clear from the sign on the door. (Since I never got around to trying them, I don't know if this is good or bad. But I think someone here may have liked them.)

The branch of Zibetto on Fulton Street appears to have closed. Whether permanently or temporarily is not clear from the sign on the door. (Since I never got around to trying them, I don't know if this is good or bad. But I think someone here may have liked them.)

curious - I walked by Zibetto in mid-town last week and it was closed for renovations. Why would you close both at once?

Greenpoint's not doing too badly in the coffee stakes: Cafe Grumpy, Milk & Roses, Champion Coffee, Brooklyn Label (Stumptown), Van Leeuwen (Intelligentsia), Five Leaves, and just over the Pulaski Bridge in LIC, Sweetleaf serves Stumptown too.

curious - I walked by Zibetto in mid-town last week and it was closed for renovations. Why would you close both at once?

Hmmm . . . the sign on the door at Fulton Street says to visit the midtown branch. Perhaps the "closed for renovations" is not "closed for renovations" if you know what I mean and I think you do.

• 2 weeks later...

Caffeteria has closed after only being open for 8 months. They were "closed for renovations" first, but now they're totally done. I don't know what happened, but perhaps they were simply overlooked. Their signage was practically nonexistent (and it was a small storefront, so you could totally not know it was there) and I don't think they played up their connection to Blue Bottle enough. It's too bad. The coffee was good, and I was counting on being able to get beans for N there.

I was really sad to hear of the Caffetteria closing. I loved the little space.

In random other espresso news, I went to a latte art throwdown yesterday. A room chock full of baristas and talent! I had no idea this whole culture of latte art competition existed. Apparently they are supposed to happen every Thursday or so. Good fun.

In random other espresso news, I went to a latte art throwdown yesterday. A room chock full of baristas and talent! I had no idea this whole culture of latte art competition existed. Apparently they are supposed to happen every Thursday or so. Good fun.

It's unlikely that you ran across it there as the baristi keep it amongst themselves, sort of a secret society thing resurrected in the mid 90's in Ballard using a lost 18th century Venetian text. . . Out of milk foam and overextracted espresso, an image of a unicorn buggering a winged and flying cherub appears.

• 2 months later...

Bluebird was just taken over by the owners of some other coffee shops in Brooklyn. The staff was downgraded from quirky but cool to not, the milk was downgraded from super fancy to fancy, what remains of the super expensive In Pursuit of Tea teas is stashed in the back, the in-house baked goods seem to have vanished for now. Maybe it will recover but I doubt it. I was told Kava Cafe that was initially not good is now better, but haven't tried it yet.

Bluebird was just taken over by the owners of some other coffee shops in Brooklyn. The staff was downgraded from quirky but cool to not, the milk was downgraded from super fancy to fancy, what remains of the super expensive In Pursuit of Tea teas is stashed in the back, the in-house baked goods seem to have vanished for now. Maybe it will recover but I doubt it. I was told Kava Cafe that was initially not good is now better, but haven't tried it yet.

Kava is OK but it's no Abraco. ;)

New coffee spot opened in Bedstuy.. They use intelligentsia coffee.. Have this old school machine and the owners seems really passionate.. We are using her for legal work and she is pretty awesome.. A C line.. They serve cold brew tea and coffee which seems to be all the rage these days..

If anyone is in the hood, it's definitely worth stopping in.. This place is my favorite place for coffee in Brooklyn now..

Daily Press, 505 Franklin.

New coffee spot opened in Bedstuy.. They use intelligentsia coffee.. Have this old school machine and the owners seems really passionate.. We are using her for legal work and she is pretty awesome.. A C line.. They serve cold brew tea and coffee which seems to be all the rage these days..

If anyone is in the hood, it's definitely worth stopping in.. This place is my favorite place for coffee in Brooklyn now..

Daily Press, 505 Franklin.

In my day, they called it sun tea. I think it's great for tea, less great for coffee, though a nice way to have a bunch of "instant" coffee on hand.

Yeh, we make sun tea in the backyard all summer.. We just leave one of those big glass containers with a little tap on them in the sun.. We fill it with lots of herbs from the garden, lavender and basil and things.. Pretty delicious stuff..

But in terms of the coffee, i love cold brew cofee.. brings like a fruity flavor to the coffee.. i can't drink a whole glass of it or I get uncomfortably banged up and start shaking and feel like a jittery mess..