Momofuku Noodle Bar

The shrimp/bacon/egg/grits dish is simply amazing and one of my best bites of 2006.

Love, love that grits dish.

Stopped in for a quick lunchtime bite and I had the grits. Suffered from the dreaded high expectations, I suppose. It was ok, slightly salty. Bacon was a little tough, almost broke a tooth on one bite. Reminded me of a refined version of a southern breakfast -- eggs, bacon, and grits all mixed together, which is what I do anyway with my southern breakfasts. Slightly overpriced, I thought, at $15.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been craving noodles for a couple of wks now and was hoping lunch at Momofuku might satisfy. No dice.   The room is sparsely modern with a long bar, lots of wood and stainless, and a few obvio

To be clear, what's depressing and off-putting about this new Noodle Bar is the certainty that it won't develop into anything else.

Stopped in for a quick lunchtime bite and I had the grits. Suffered from the dreaded high expectations, I suppose. It was ok, slightly salty. Bacon was a little tough, almost broke a tooth on one bite. Reminded me of a refined version of a southern breakfast -- eggs, bacon, and grits all mixed together, which is what I do anyway with my southern breakfasts. Slightly overpriced, I thought, at $15.

Good quality shrimp ain't cheap in any restaurant.

Hey,

This is my first post on Mouthfuls! :lol:

Momofuku is one of my favorite restaurants because it serves quality food in a very relaxed environment. Whenever I realize that there is nothing in my fridge that's going to hit the spot, I love that I can just go to Momofuku (and wait for a little bit), no reservation necessary and just eat something great at the counter. It's really such an easy going, low-key way to have amazing food.

The dishes that I've had so far: pork/chicken/shitake buns, dumplings, smoked chicken wings, razor clams with eggplant or sausage, baby tatsoi, tripe, mustard greens, rice cakes, the famous grits dish, the corn dish (kind of like the fraternal twin of the grits), the brussels sprouts with kimchi puree, pig tails, masa cakes, kimchi stew, tsukemen, momofuku ramen, pork neck ramen, chicken and egg and the oxtail soup.

For me, the standouts are the mustard greens and the brussels sprouts (two of my favorite vegetable dishes), shitake buns (yummy!), kimchi stew (sweet from the onions, spicy, beautiful pork, some coin shaped rice cakes for chewyness - I love to have this when I have a cold) and the oxtail soup (the best broth I've ever had). The smoked chicken and egg is also incredible. The roasted rice cakes dish is great too, but I found it a little overwhelming to eat it by myself. I recommend sharing those rice cakes, as the flavor, although wonderful, may become a little repetitive. I've enjoyed the grits as sort of a breakfasty dish. It's true - lots of shrimp in that one. I haven't had the experience of tough bacon in that dish - usually it does lean towards the toothsome side, but that's what I'd expect from a thick cut of bacon.

The first (and only) time I'd ever had pig tails was at Momofuku and while the flavor was pleasant, I found them to be too bony and I felt like I was fighting with my dinner, but that is a factor of the tail meat rather than the cooking or preparation. The masa cakes dish has a beautiful texture. The red-eye gravy is so smooth and just a perfect thickness - the poached egg makes it all the more voluptuous and the corn cakes have a very nice grainyness that absorbs the gravy and egg well. But out of the many dishes I've had there, this is the only dish at Momofuku that I've ever found to be too salty for me, so I'm wondering if that saltiness came from the cured ham in the dish (maybe that would also affect the salt level in the red-eye gravy?) rather than a cook adding too much additional salt....

I've read some posts on this thread about the sweetbreads. I've never had sweetbreads before - do you think that Momofuku is a good place to try them for the first time?

Thanks for the recommendations! So funny - I'm about to post on the Casa Mono thread! :lol: I've been debating for a while about whether my first try of sweetbreads should be at Casa Mono or Momofuku!!

Thanks for the recommendation - I'll keep you posted.

Where is Ali's?

-spaetzle

Thanks for the recommendations! So funny - I'm about to post on the Casa Mono thread! :lol: I've been debating for a while about whether my first try of sweetbreads should be at Casa Mono or Momofuku!!

Where is Ali's?

-spaetzle

OH GOSH.... everyone, you're sending *shivers* up my spine... I *LOVELOVELOVELOVE* me some well-prepared sweetbreads! ;)

spaetzle! welcome to mouthfuls! it's great to see a familiar handle floatin' about on this forum! ;)

wherever you go - please do report back!

u.e.

Where is Ali's?

-spaetzle

Ali's is in Astoria.

• 3 weeks later...

Was at Momofuku again this weekend. I had a huge cold last week and was in need of the kimchi stew. It was like magic: After I finished 3 quarters of the bowl, poof! Sinus congestion cleared! Kimchi stew totally beats out chicken noodle soup!

Finally managed to crawl onto a stool. The pork buns stole the show - beautiful fatty slices of Berkshire pork on a split steamed bun. I couldn't help comparing the price with the Chatham Restaurant Chinatown buns I enjoyed a few days ago: $9 for an order of two here, $1.20 there. Yes, I know it's heritage piggy - just saying. Overconsumption of buns pushed the check for two into three figures, without alcohol. :(

We also rated highly the baby octopus, tenderly grilled and served with some tasty seaweed. The soft shell crab was fine, but is more the soft style than the crispy style. I also liked the grilled asparagus with a soft egg on top.

Was at Momofuku again this weekend. I had a huge cold last week and was in need of the kimchi stew. It was like magic: After I finished 3 quarters of the bowl, poof! Sinus congestion cleared! Kimchi stew totally beats out chicken noodle soup!

Kimchi saves.