Momofuku Noodle Bar

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been craving noodles for a couple of wks now and was hoping lunch at Momofuku might satisfy. No dice.   The room is sparsely modern with a long bar, lots of wood and stainless, and a few obvio

To be clear, what's depressing and off-putting about this new Noodle Bar is the certainty that it won't develop into anything else.

Finally managed to crawl onto a stool. The pork buns stole the show - beautiful fatty slices of Berkshire pork on a split steamed bun. I couldn't help comparing the price with the Chatham Restaurant Chinatown buns I enjoyed a few days ago: $9 for an order of two here, $1.20 there. Yes, I know it's heritage piggy - just saying. Overconsumption of buns pushed the check for two into three figures, without alcohol. :(

stopped in for a lunch of buns the other day, the meat was disappointingly dry, definitely an aberration..

Amazingly, the pork buns went unordered at lunch today. Instead we started off with a great plate of pickles followed by the sweetbreads, which were very good, and the pork trotter terrine, which was disappointing but partially saved by the small mound of cracklings made from the trotter skin. I thought the soft shell crabs and baby octopus dishes were fine, but they both lacked the spark I've come to expect from Momofuku. And once again, I missed the tail dish by a few hours. :(

Totally agree. Was particularly disappointed in the terrine. Overcooked, texture too tough, not a lot of flavor. Nice cracklings though. I didn't much like the pickled mustard seeds on top of the terrine either.

The sweetbreads are like sweetbreads popcorn. Could eats lots of 'em.

I must have that tail soon.

Guest Aaron T

The chicken buns were dry on a recent visit. Other tried the pork buns and had the same complaint.

The peas with horseradish was nice and the horseradish looked but did not taste like cheese.

Chicken wings were pleasant although perhaps a tad sweet.

• 3 weeks later...

Disappointing meal at Momofuku tonight. Which especially sucks because it was Eyebrows' first (and I fear last) time.

Chicken ramen just plain sucked. Boring, one dimensional, waaaay to salty (the broth), rubbery, dry chicken. Not a lot going on in the bowl. Pointless.

Asparagus with egg and miso butter was fine, but not all that interesting. Asparagus were a bit overcooked. Pan-roasted zucchini and squash with pine nuts and onions - first time I had it - again, uninteresting, one dimensional, no interesting texture to speak of.

Baby octopus was good as usual. Razor clams were much too salty. Fried dumplings were very good.

It was a fucking zoo, and I'm never going to set foot in there in the evening again. And the cooks were yelling and I don't mean in a pleasant way. And it was a steam bath in there.

Also have to say, the menu was way too limited tonight. One pork dish on the whole menu - spare ribs.

I asked the cook standing 10 inches from me if they had pigs tails tonight. He didn't look up, he just grunted "ask a server." Fuck you very much. They didn't have them, again. Ran out at lunch.

I hope David Chang is not riding too high on recent accolades, and is paying attention - although tonight you wouldn't have known it.

Disappointing meal at Momofuku tonight. Which especially sucks because it was Eyebrows' first (and I fear last) time.

Chicken ramen just plain sucked. Boring, one dimensional, waaaay to salty (the broth), rubbery, dry chicken. Not a lot going on in the bowl. Pointless.

Asparagus with egg and miso butter was fine, but not all that interesting. Asparagus were a bit overcooked. Pan-roasted zucchini and squash with pine nuts and onions - first time I had it - again, uninteresting, one dimensional, no interesting texture to speak of.

Baby octopus was good as usual. Razor clams were much too salty. Fried dumplings were very good.

It was a fucking zoo, and I'm never going to set foot in there in the evening again. And the cooks were yelling and I don't mean in a pleasant way. And it was a steam bath in there.

Also have to say, the menu was way too limited tonight. One pork dish on the whole menu - spare ribs.

I asked the cook standing 10 inches from me if they had pigs tails tonight. He didn't look up, he just grunted "ask a server." Fuck you very much. They didn't have them, again. Ran out at lunch.

I hope David Chang is not riding too high on recent accolades, and is paying attention - although tonight you wouldn't have known it.

I recently had a very similar experience: it was at 5:30 on a weekday and they weren't even totally full but the chefs would not respond to anyone sitting at the counter; the food was not excellent by a mile; the asparagus dish was just as you described; it was hot in there.

So tell us:

Have the chefs been instructed to ignore the customers? because I tried on a number of occasions to say something or ask something or even to just make a comment and not one person on the other side of the counter would even acknowledge that I had made any sound at all and they were about a foot from my face. Haughty and dismissive is how I would describe it.

And the buns were cold.

David,

We all know that your space is not ideal, especially given all the publicity and the volume of traffic.

But the food, man, the food. It just wasn't up to your usual standards. And the cooks are right in front of the customers - they just can't be rude, ya know?

Hot Weather Restaurants

omnivorette Jun 22 2006, 03:18 PM Post #14

Sri for sure. Fatty Crab. Momofuku.

Wilfrid Jun 22 2006, 03:27 PM Post #18

Seriously, Momofuku...Fatty Crab... When I think hot weather restaurant I don't think of somewhere small, packed and over-heated.