Bon Appetit's test kitchen

The day went like this: Open a box. Figure out what to keep and what to get rid of. Place in appropriate piles. Repeat.

Some boxes were filled with old plates and crazy outdated props. Others contained more valuable equipment--food processors, hand mixers, spice grinders. There were tart pans and muffin tins in every possible shape and size. We stacked up huge piles of mandolines and measuring cups. A few treasures emerged--like a can of escargots best described as vintage. Another big find? A single burner propane stove--awesome.

Opening each box was like unpacking a different generation of food culture. We could sense a heavy French influence in the older equipment; the newer stuff showed how Gourmet began to embrace more diverse cuisines from Asia and South America.

Read More http://www.bonappetit.com/blogsandforums/blogs/badaily/2011/01/from-the-test-kitchen-moving-d.html#ixzz1BhWEGj7z

I don't understand the comments about the kitchen being small. The one in the first photo? Where do those commentors live, and in what kind of houses?? :rolleyes: I did a tryout in Gourmet's kitchen a few years ago, and wasn't just one kitchen, but basically a half-dozen or maybe eight galley-style kitchens set up in pairs on either side of a center aisle. They were smaller than mine, but bigger than many home kitchens. And yes, with home appliances, although the fridge was bigger than mine (and not a Sub-Zero).

When you think of how many people have (or want) islands in their kitchens that measure in excess of 4' x 8', a galley kitchen will always look small. I've worked on way too many kitchens that had at least 40 lf of counter. the perception is that you should be able to entertain your guests in the kitchen, along with the caterer, three dogs, two kids, and have room to show off what is in your wine refrigerator. All those show kitchens on the home and food networks don't help.

When you think of how many people have (or want) islands in their kitchens that measure in excess of 4' x 8', a galley kitchen will always look small. I've worked on way too many kitchens that had at least 40 lf of counter. the perception is that you should be able to entertain your guests in the kitchen, along with the caterer, three dogs, two kids, and have room to show off what is in your wine refrigerator. All those show kitchens on the home and food networks don't help.

You're right, entertaining guests in the kitchen automatically jacks up the amount of square feet required in the new kitchen. Add in space to put 4 or 5 stools with adult turning range, and that's a considerable piece of real estate...

my best kitchen ever besides my nana's eat in 20'x20'kitchen was my custom 5'x7' kitchen with a separate 4'x6' pantry. all full size appliances. a kitchen is for cooking. i do not understand open kitchens. how do you hid your kitchen staff from your guests in an open kitchen?

my best kitchen ever besides my nana's eat in 20'x20'kitchen was my custom 5'x7' kitchen with a separate 4'x6' pantry. all full size appliances. a kitchen is for cooking. i do not understand open kitchens. how do you hid your kitchen staff from your guests in an open kitchen?

No need to. Nobody ever sees the help.

because the kitchen has doors. i also believe is standalone housestaff quarters

No no, even if they're right there, no one sees them. They are invisible. Come on, you should know that.

No no, even if they're right there, no one sees them. They are invisible. Come on, you should know that.

invisible to my guests, sure. but i'd like them to be invisible to me. :lol:

Move to the Philippines and they will be. (Although in the book The Help, the help seemed to be invisible to their employers unless they did something wrong, so I guess they're invisible in the southern US, too.)

Move to the Philippines and they will be. (Although in the book The Help, the help seemed to be invisible to their employers unless they did something wrong, so I guess they're invisible in the southern US, too.)

All over, not just southern.

All over, not just southern.

I qualify as part of the help and I don't hide unless it is apparent the lady of the house is having a bad day. Then I try to be invisible.