Sign in to follow this  
mongo_jones

2lb bone-in veal shoulder

i have a small'ish hunk of veal shoulder. ideally, i'd like to roast it but have no idea for how long, at what temps--all the recipes i've seen are for much larger cuts. any thoughts? if i don't get anything by tomorrow it's going in the slow cooker with carrots, root veg and herbs.

Slow roast it, covered, at 275F for 4 hours or more. Add a bit of wine or stock and whatever flavourings you fancy. 2 1/2 hours before the end add sliced onions and potatoes. Works for all the more sinewy cuts of all beasts (best with sheep).

can always debone, cube, and make a stew.. or you can again cube and treat it like an osso bucco and then serve that sort of stew over ravioli with riccotta... Roasting it should be like an hour or so...

i have a small'ish hunk of veal shoulder. ideally, i'd like to roast it but have no idea for how long, at what temps--all the recipes i've seen are for much larger cuts. any thoughts? if i don't get anything by tomorrow it's going in the slow cooker with carrots, root veg and herbs.

That actually sounds pretty good. Braises are good this time of year. Just brown the outside before putting it into the slow cooker. And if there's too much liquid at the end, debone and cook down the juices with the bones in. Kind of like remouillage.

That sounds so much classier than, veal stew.. :)