Sign in to follow this  
Ron Johnson

Pittsburgh

Going to be in Pittsburgh for work this week, staying in the U. Pitt area. Any good dinner recommendations? I've done Primanti, home of the absurdly huge (and good) sandwich. Looking for something else this time.

This restaurant is on Baum Avenue, by the Med School / Hospital. I haven't visited, but it looks like an interesting menu and a decent wine list.

Toast Restaurant

If you plan to drive, you may want to peruse the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board's website. PLCB has a well deserved reputation for offering some unusual and exceptionally well priced wines along with the oceans of swill, etc.

The former chairman, Jon Newman, leveraged the tremendous buying power of the agency to get deals from importers and distributors. Although Newman has departed, the "Chairman's List" and the broad offerings remain.

Chairman's List

Four trips in a few months, great restaurant scene.

For casual, I liked Six Penn. Bill Fuller's Big Burrito restaurant group has a couple that I really liked as well, especially Eleven and Swoon.

NY Times has an overview of the Pittsburgh food scene. Several places sound interesting.

Pittsburgh Public Market (Smallman and 17th Streets; pittsburghpublicmarket.org), which opened in September and operates on weekends, year-round. The indoor market, an eight-year, $1.3 million project, constitutes 10,000 square feet of the historic Fruit and Auction building. A rotating group of about 45 vendors sells flowers, crafts and local foods

or

Salt of the Earth (5523 Penn Avenue; 412-441-7258; saltpgh.com), which opened in September, is the long-awaited solo venture of Kevin Sousa, the chef and owner. The striking loft-like space is packed nightly, with diners choosing from among Mr. Sousa’s deconstructed farm-to-table dishes, like sturgeon with cauliflower purée, chamomile-infused buckwheat and Swiss chard.

Other places mentioned include Elements in Gateway Center, Legume, Habitat, and others. Local is highly prized, although the article notes that western PA in the winter does have some limitations.

Pittsburgh