As Steve says, look for a bag labeled "Mexican limes." They'll be the small, yellowish key limes.

Don't know what you're using them for, but I can tell you that for several years, I made at least one key lime pie each week for my elderly mother and father, who loved it. They bragged on me to all the neighbors, adding that if they, too, wanted a pie, I'd be "happy to make them one." As you might imagine, that really upped the number of pies I was compelled to make.

For the first year, I actually squeezed all those pesky, annoyingly small and seedy little limes by hand. Quite an unpleasant chore and the only difficult thing about making that pie. Then one day, after repeatedly walking past the bottled Nellie & Joe's Key Lime Juice in the stores (eschewing it because I doubted bottled lime juice would be as good), I gave in, bought a bottle, made a pie with it, and did a side-by-side comparison.

Nobody could tell the difference.

You can probably find Nellie & Joe's Key Lime Juice at 'gourmet-type' specialty-food stores; but, if not, you can order it online.

Nellie & Joe's Key Lime Juice

As Steve says, look for a bag labeled "Mexican limes." They'll be the small, yellowish key limes.

Don't know what you're using them for, but I can tell you that for several years, I made at least one key lime pie each week for my elderly mother and father, who loved it. They bragged on me to all the neighbors, adding that if they, too, wanted a pie, I'd be "happy to make them one." As you might imagine, that really upped the number of pies I was compelled to make.

For the first year, I actually squeezed all those pesky, annoyingly small and seedy little limes by hand. Quite an unpleasant chore and the only difficult thing about making that pie. Then one day, after repeatedly walking past the bottled Nellie & Joe's Key Lime Juice in the stores (eschewing it because I doubted bottled lime juice would be as good), I gave in, bought a bottle, made a pie with it, and did a side-by-side comparison.

Nobody could tell the difference.

You can probably find Nellie & Joe's Key Lime Juice at 'gourmet-type' specialty-food stores; but, if not, you can order it online.

Nellie & Joe's Key Lime Juice

I agree with Jaymes. Squeezing all those limes is a pain in the @#$, and Nellie & Joe's works just fine for my pie. I've seen it at Kalustyan's and Whole Foods; I'm sure Fairway would have it as well.

I used to get Nellie & Joe's in the regular supermarket, such as Food Emporium. I believe the term for it is: "da bomb" :lol: It's the only bottled juice I've ever tried that just tasted like juice, without that chemical edge.

Key lime pie was one of my go-to desserts: 1 can sweetened condensed milk, 1/3 to 1/2 cup juice, stir together, pour into graham cracker crust, freeze. If I wanted to get fancy, I'd add some grated lime zest. Even if your condensed milk is so old that it's turned into dulce de leche all on its own :blush: it still works (just looks ugly).

• 4 weeks later...

If you look closely at the photograph, they do look much yellower than Persian limes. Key limes are yellower than Persian in general. In fact, that's how you select the juiciest Key limes - get the yellowest ones.

Orik - where was the photo taken?